Boot camp for the unemployed

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
mantra.

Boot camp for the unemployed

Post by mantra. » Sun May 03, 2009 4:55 pm

The Rudd government is considering a military boot camp for the young and unemployed. This sounds pretty good. It will give them discipline and some direction and the payments of $500 per week will be tempting. If it's made compulsory we will end up seeing fit and focussed young Australians - a far cry from those sitting around smoking dope, playing Nintendo games and getting fat.

By the time we've got them trained properly, Rudd's proposed increased military strength will be established and we should be ready to send them off to be used as canon fodder for World War III.
YOUNG unemployed people will be offered an extra $2000 in benefits inreturn for undergoing special training programs.

The Rudd government is also considering army-style "boot camp'' training as part of its Budget initiatives to prevent the young and unemployed becoming the biggest victims of the recession.

Cabinet sources yesterday confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph that the boot-camp plan had been promoted at ``the highest levels'' of the Government, but it remained unclear whether the proposal would make the final cut for inclusion in the May 12 Budget.

Only 10 days out from Budget night - and with many of its elements still in flux _ key figures in the Defence Department are fiercely resisting the idea of having responsibility for military-style training for the unemployed.

They argue it is not their core business and, if it goes ahead, the department will need extra funding for any such program.

Defence sources said that in its current form, weapons training was included _ a concept they described as unworkable.

They said the idea was being pushed amid growing concerns within the Government that youth unemployment was likely to hit politically unacceptable levels by the end of this year.

During the "recession we had to have'' in the early 1990s, youth unemployment topped out at more than 24 per cent in 1993 - sparking an emotional community debate about raising a "lost'' generation.

Although ministers broadly support the initiative, elements of the Defence Department who have been at policy war with the Government on other fronts regard the plan as a cynical exercise to artificially cut the official numbers of young jobless.

It is understood that under the proposal, jobless youth would be offered training positions with Defence for a minimum of one month and a maximum of three months, effectively cutting the headline rate of youth unemployment for that period.

The department has been formally asked to cost the program.

The leaking of the proposal from within Defence is seen as further evidence of the near-breakdown in relations between the Government and the department.

Recent allegations that the department had been spying on its own minister, Joel Fitzgibbon, sparked harsh private criticism by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

Mr Rudd admitted publicly to tensions between the department and Mr Fitzgibbon, who is trying to push through cost-cutting measures as a part of a wider reform agenda.

But senior Government sources said that with Defence suffering from low recruitment levels, it made sense to require young job-seekers on welfare to get their training inside the military. The sources said it could be an incentive for them to subsequently join up on a full-time basis.

continued....

Auzgurl

Re: Boot camp for the unemployed

Post by Auzgurl » Sun May 03, 2009 5:33 pm

mantra-
The Rudd government is considering a military boot camp for the young and unemployed. This sounds pretty good. It will give them discipline and some direction and the payments of $500 per week will be tempting. If it's made compulsory we will end up seeing fit and focussed young Australians - a far cry from those sitting around smoking dope, playing Nintendo games and getting fat.

By the time we've got them trained properly, Rudd's proposed increased military strength will be established and we should be ready to send them off to be used as canon fodder for World War III.
Im thinking some will jump at the chance, but I dont think "cannon fodder " will be included in the promos as a selling point. :lol:

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 pm

It might work for the parents.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

Ethnic

Post by Ethnic » Sun May 03, 2009 6:23 pm

I think it's a good idea but be careful that you're not giving certain people weapons skills which they'll use negatively in the community. I also think if the military is suffering from low recruitment then they should relax some of their ridiculous restrictions. When I applied to the army 8 years ago I was knocked back merely because I once had a minor wrist injury 8 years before that! They said they were not willing to take the risk. Risk? What fucking risk? Never mind the wrist injury only lasted for three days and, despite intense physical activity (tennis, soccer, scout-like obstacles, push ups etc), has never given me any problems or any pain whatsover since recovery 16 years ago! Military arseholes. They lose quality recruits because they're unrealistic bastards. I bet the person who said 'no' was a fat ugly retard. Go figure.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun May 03, 2009 6:35 pm

don't hold back, tell us what you really think :)

Ethnic

Post by Ethnic » Sun May 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Jovial Monk wrote:don't hold back, tell us what you really think :)
Military bureaucrats suck donkey's balls and it's all John Howard's fault somehow. It has to be. He fucked everything else up.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun May 03, 2009 6:48 pm

hahahahaha 'atsa gurl :) :) :)

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Sun May 03, 2009 7:33 pm

A lot of unemployed have low self-esteem and depression. Not sure that a military regime is what is best for them. If voluntary- along with other voluntary work (equally well-paid) Okay. Otherwise, why mess up these peopel mor ethan tyhey already are. They need help, not discipline and whipping into shape.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Giving them training & work experience is the best thing that can be done.

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun May 03, 2009 8:09 pm

It's fucking appalling!

There's a shortage of tradespeople and other skilled jobs (they say) and the Gov't wants to conscript young unemployed people into the military? Do we live in North Korea?

Make trades and other skilled jobs more attractive, ie. pay a decent fucking wage, and we wouldn't have a skills shortage. This is by far the laziest policy since Howard last opened his slimy little mouth.
You vote, you lose!