Engineless, Electric Supercar Recharges in 10 Minutes

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Deathridesahorse

Post by Deathridesahorse » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:29 am

:!: :!:

July 24, 2008 -By Geoff Fox

Discuss this now (3 posts)

Low slung and sleek, the Lightning reminds me of a Jaguar. It very well might be the perfect platform to snap photos of a Jaguar... out the back window as you pull away! The Lightning does 0 to 60 mph in 4 seconds, a full second faster than a Jag and 7 seconds (aka--a lifetime) faster than a Prius! But what makes the Lightning special is it's an electric automobile.

Joining the ranks of all-electrics, like Tesla Motors Roadster, the Lightning has further innovated by banking on a lithium-titanate battery, Don't feel bad, I hadn't heard of lithium-titanate either. Forget overnight charging. If you've got three-phase power available, this car can be fully charged in 10 minutes for 200 miles of driving. The batteries themselves have a life expectancy of 12+ years, versus the 3-5 year usable life of other batteries.

To help the power last longer the Lightning takes advantage of regenerative braking. That means the 30% of engine output typically lost to braking is now put back in the battery. Not exactly cutting edge, New York City's subways slow down the same way.

Lift the hood of your car and I'll find the engine, but the Lightning has no engine. That reduces maintenance greatly. Instead, there's an electric motor on each wheel, all electronically controlled. What electrics have that an internal combustion engine does not is high torque at all speeds. That means rabbit quick starts and peppy acceleration from nearly any speed.

"There are no gearboxes, differential, axle, drive shafts or propshafts to contend with," Lightning says. "All of the power is generated at the wheel, the point at which it's required, which eliminates mechanical complexity and power losses experienced in standard sports cars. These lightweight and ultra powerful motors don't add significant extra unsprung weight and are therefore ideal in that position."

I know you're expecting a downside--a reason this won't be in your garage when it's released later this year. First, it's not immediately being marketed in the United States. Something about certification, which if I remember correctly, even the Yugo received. Then, there's the question of price. The Lightning is built and will be sold in England. There it will set you back around £120,000 or $ 238,824. On the other hand, you'll make Al Gore smile as he inhales the dust from your wildly spinning tyres (Damn you spellchecker, it's British!).

Originally posted on Gearlog.

source: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 393,00.asp