At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
Bogan

Re: At the Movies...

Post by Bogan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 am

Hollywood is dying because it's politically correct screenwriters are so bereft of ideas that about the only things that they can manage is sequels to long admired former classics. Or crazy stories that nobody wants to see, like the one where a woman falls in love with a sea monster and has sex with it. Or endlessly politically correct superhero movies that only appeal to adolescents with low IQ's. They must be up to Spiderman 7 by now, Aqua man 12, Ant Man 11, Batman 26, Wonder Woman 8 (starring of course, an African American female who kicks the crap out of white guys).

It is a wonder that they have not done a sequel to the movie ZULU where the female lead engages in bayonet fights stark naked alongside the Zulu warriors against the red coat oppressors. After the battle, she has a steamy sex scene with King Cetshwayo while simultaneously making a speech against white imperialism.

The last two Hollywood movies worth watching would have to be "The King's Speech" and "American Sniper." Brian Ross would have issues with American Sniper because it is about a patriotic American who enlists to fight for his country, a country he loves so much that he says in the movie that he would give his life for it. Can't have that. Like Brian Ross, the critics panned the movie to hell and back, unmindful of the fact that it played to packed movie theatres while their own PC movies went straight to DVD after bombing miserably at the box office.

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:02 am

I agree. Hollywood is dying. Now that my sons are old enough to take themselves to the movies, I can pass. That is, unless I can't avoid taking the lovely Mrs. Texan to a chick flick.

John Wick is about the only current movie that I like for the action without being PC, and it's on #3. A good sci-fi would be nice, if they ever film a new one.

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Hey Tex!

How come Texas produces so many Medal of Honour and war heroes? Is there something in the water?

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Bogan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm
Hey Tex!

How come Texas produces so many Medal of Honour and war heroes? Is there something in the water?
I don't know. I never thought about it. Maybe its just our culture. Rednecks can be as wild and unsavory as anybody, but they still treat the elderly well and show respect. Family is important and people generally treat everybody with respect. You constantly see people holding a door for strangers, no matter the gender or race. It's kind of my regular joke when I get caught holding a door for a bunch of people leaving a store. I'll say "This is just like church", and the guys know exactly what I'm talking about. Texans have more pride in their state than in our country and definitely more pride in our state than any other American has in their state.

Maybe it has something to do with the proliferation of guns. Soldiers from Texas are more likely to have been around guns than some New York or California soldier. Maybe Texans are able to better handle poor living conditions because of the Texas weather and outdoor industries such as energy production and agriculture. These are just guesses, so don't take them as gospel.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Just seen "Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan" Which is about the Battle of Long Tan during the early stages of the Vietnam War. It involved Delta Company of 6 Battalion of the Royal Australia Regiment. Overall, as a military history it was very close to the accounts of the battle. Some elements were over-dramatised, as per usual for any movie made for the masses. It was though very accurate, except for a few minor technical details. All the uniforms, ranks, weapons, vehicles were accurate. I bet Australian Army enjoyed making this movie. "Nui Dat" - the main Australian base in South Vietnam was a bit smaller than it was in real life.

The NLF forces which was encountered during the battle was quite accurately portrayed but they didn't really have enough bugle or whistle calls occurring to direct the troops or enough weapons of the correct types (they had too many AK-47s when they should have had SKS carbines and only two machine guns were shown when at least half a dozen were involved in real life).

I'd recommend this to any readers if they want a good, accurate, battle movie to watch. Now, all we need is one about Firebase Coral and Balmoral. 8-)
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 am

To Texan

Australia has a bankrupt army which only bought a lousy eight helicopter gunships, 40 years after the US fielded them in Vietnam. We bought the Eurocraptor Tiger which impressed our procurement people in DOD by crashing into Sydney Harbour during it's demonstration flight watched by awe struck DOD officials.

When Australia sent it's usual token force to Afganistan we did not sent any Eurocraptors because the damned things didn't work. So we bludged off you US guys for Apache helicopter support. With gunship support absolutely crucial to winning firefights and keeping down casualties in Afghanistan, it is a miracle that Australia did not suffer another "Long tan" in Afghanistan. Which, I might note, this 'battle" would only be considered a very a small engagement if it had involved US troops. It hardly compared to taking Hamburger Hill or the city of Hue.

Australia's defence policy is to fight to the last American. Our army tank numbers have shrunk in 60 years from 200 Centurions, to 108 leopards, to 40 M1A1's today. We send token forces to help you whenever you need it in the hope that if we ever do get threatened with invasion again, the good old USA will ride to our rescue again. Meanwhile, a significant part of the population with leftist views, like our beloved comrade Brian Ross, consider slagging off against the USA to be their favourite past time.

Time for Trump to tell us to wake up and stand on our own two feet, like he did with Germany.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Bogan wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 am
To Texan

Australia has a bankrupt army which only bought a lousy eight helicopter gunships, 40 years after the US fielded them in Vietnam. We bought the Eurocraptor Tiger which impressed our procurement people in DOD by crashing into Sydney Harbour during it's demonstration flight watched by awe struck DOD officials.
I do wish you'd stop repeating that myth, Bogan. It has been pointed out to you several times that it is a myth. It NEVER HAPPENED. There was no "helicopter crash into Sydney Harbour" by a Tiger helicopter. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Oh, yes there was, Briney.

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 am

Back to movies.

Picking my favourite movies and teledramas is difficult, but pick for the best five would be ( order)

1. Lawrence of Arabia. Best movie of all time in my opinion, even if not really historically accurate.
2.Pride And Prejudice. BBC version with Colin FIrth.
3. The King's Speech.
4. Citizen X
5. Blaze. Paul Newman.

Other favs in no particular order are
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
In the Heat of the Night
Always.
Good Will Hunting
Zulu
Thirteen days

Favourite Australian movies and teledramas.

1. The Riddle of the Stinson. Won an Award in the USA for "best family movie" and in my opinion it thoroughly deserved it. Great movie.
2. Strictly Ballroom
3. The Dish
4. Howzat.
5. Paper Giants.

Best chick flicks

Pretty woman
The Devil wore Prada
Absence of Malice
Blue Crush

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:11 pm