The BOOK Thread

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

The BOOK Thread

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:45 pm

I like crime novels and I am currently reading Jonathan Kellerman's 'Blood Test'.
He grew up in Los Angeles and received a BA in psychology at UCLA in 1971. He worked his way through college as a cartoonist, illustrator, journalist and editor, as well as by teaching guitar. As a college senior, he co-wrote an unpublished novel that garnered a Samuel Goldwyn writing award. That prize has served as a stepping-stone to film writing for other writers, but Kellerman deliberately avoided the world of screenwriting and enrolled in a PhD program in clinical psychology at the University of Southern California. He received his PhD from USC in 1974. His doctoral research was on attribution of blame for childhood psychopathology and he published a scientific paper on that topic, his first, at the age of 22. He is currently a Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the Keck School of Medicine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Kellerman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's written numerous scientific articles, a few childrens' books and several volumes of psychology. I like his Alex Delaware series which, surprise surprise, is about a child psychologist originally based in oncology turned criminal/forensic psychologist and his gay homicide detective friend, Milo Sturgis.

What book are you currently reading?

GeorgeH

Re: The BOOK Thread

Post by GeorgeH » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:08 pm

“My story” by FPMJG and “The Good Fight” by Wayne Swan.

Wayne must be laughing to bust a gut at the inept performance of Hokey. :rofl

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I like crime novels and I am currently reading Jonathan Kellerman's 'Blood Test'.
He grew up in Los Angeles and received a BA in psychology at UCLA in 1971. He worked his way through college as a cartoonist, illustrator, journalist and editor, as well as by teaching guitar. As a college senior, he co-wrote an unpublished novel that garnered a Samuel Goldwyn writing award. That prize has served as a stepping-stone to film writing for other writers, but Kellerman deliberately avoided the world of screenwriting and enrolled in a PhD program in clinical psychology at the University of Southern California. He received his PhD from USC in 1974. His doctoral research was on attribution of blame for childhood psychopathology and he published a scientific paper on that topic, his first, at the age of 22. He is currently a Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the Keck School of Medicine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Kellerman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's written numerous scientific articles, a few childrens' books and several volumes of psychology. I like his Alex Delaware series which, surprise surprise, is about a child psychologist originally based in oncology turned criminal/forensic psychologist and his gay homicide detective friend, Milo Sturgis.

What book are you currently reading?
I have always liked crime-type novels or similar (John le Carré, Frederick Forsythe, Ludlum etc). I have several books here ......

skippy

Post by skippy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 pm

I was given the opportunity to have the choice of what ever I wanted from a bookcase yesterday ( someone died) I only got two books but I didn't have long to choose. When I got home and looked at what I got I laughed as it was " so me" . I picked up the Davinci code and Nostradamus countown to apocalypse. I remember loving reading a book on the Burmuda triangle when I was about fourteen, ever the conspironut. :rofl

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

One of my sons has the full illustrated collectors' editions of The Da Vinci Code, The Lost Symbol and Angels and Demons. He is waiting for Inferno which comes out next month.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 am

Watched a film about Gore Vidal on Netflix last week and thought I would give his fiction a chance. Will be starting off with his novel "Burr."

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Just bought 2 of Lee Child's "Reacher" Novels...
61 HOURS
and
PERSONAL
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Rorschach wrote:Just bought 2 of Lee Child's "Reacher" Novels...
61 HOURS
and
PERSONAL
link?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:28 pm

I like the Jack Reacher novels. I have read them all except the latest one, Personal. Thanks for reminding me as I must go out and buy it.

If you enjoy them it's probably best to go back and start at the beginning. The first one is Killing Floor.

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/jack-reacher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I like the Jack Reacher novels. I have read them all except the latest one, Personal. Thanks for reminding me as I must go out and buy it.

If you enjoy them it's probably best to go back and start at the beginning. The first one is Killing Floor.

http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/jack-reacher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. I think of Reacher as Tom whatshisname and I cannot stand him.

I have always been an avid reader and especially got interested in the spy novels by Forsyth, Le Carre, Ludlum, etc. Since that sort of book went out of style, I haven't found another Author that I can read and read and not put the book down until I finish. I tried Baldacci, La Plante, Cornell, Deaver, etc. but none of them were "page turners".

Anyone got any other recommendations?