Food and Drinkies

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: Food and Drinkies

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:Love it :rofl

I suggested bottling water years ago. People thought I was nuts.
You could have been a multi millionaire by now. :mrgreen:

Who did think of it and go ahead with that thought? I'm not bored enough to Google it. Please don't tell me it was an Aussie who got funny tummy in Fiji in the early 80's but a Yank eventually patented it? :mrgreen:
I have no idea but when we lived up the north coast an American friend of my parents was visiting and did some research on the water up where we were and found out that it was the cleanest water on the whole eastern seaboard. He actually suggested it to me and I thought it was a great idea.

boxy

Post by boxy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Bottled spring water has been around for centuries. Coming up with the concept isn't what has lead to the huge market for it these days, it was the marketing. You now get to pay for a product that was often given away, a few decades ago :thumb
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:02 pm

I purchased a rare vintage cook book today.

"Squirrels vegetarian Cookbook".

I'm not vegetarian, but it has a mean recipe for vegetarian nutloaf.

:Hi
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:38 pm

I was vegetarian for quite a few years but I'm not now. I still cook vegetarian food though and have a few old favourites I enjoy.

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I was vegetarian for quite a few years but I'm not now. I still cook vegetarian food though and have a few old favourites I enjoy.
My aunty, who is only 6 years older than me made this most incredible nut loaf from the Squirrels restaurant cookbook when I was about 13, and I had been looking for the cook book and recipe ever since.

As soon as my book arrives BO,,, I will put up the recipe.

The restaurant closed in 2006... but Squirrels was an iconically Australian owned and operated vegetarian restaurant in south Brisbane.
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:26 am

Yikes!

Sicily’s surprising street food

IT’S made up of lung and spleen and served in a sesame seed roll. It looked absolutely disgusting but the line up of people suggested otherwise.

I’m talking about pane ca meusa, Sicily’s famous street food, whose name literally translates to bread with spleen.

A dish exclusive to Palermo, pane ca meusa is made up of chopped up calf’s lung and spleen that has been boiled and then fried in lard before being scooped into soft bread rolls.

The huge pots of meat sit in the shopfront counters, looking seriously unappealing, but this dish is as raw and authentic as you’ll find in Italy.

Costing just two euros (AUD$2.80), it’s almost like our version of the late night kebab. The warm meat is spooned into rolls with a squeeze of lemon juice and topped with shaved caciocavallo (a type of cheese).

Sold at roadside street stalls, the meat is surprisingly delicious and tender. Full of flavour it’s the perfect partner to a stomach full of Italian table wine.

“The sandwich is juicy, meaty, and totally satisfying with just the slightest earthiness that comes with any offal and probably one of my favourite meals we had in all of Sicily,” wrote Bora K on review website Yelp.

And I would have to agree. A staple with the locals, and a true Sicilian experience, it is the one dish everyone must try in Palermo.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-id ... 7271153564

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 am

GROSS. I cannot eat offal. I know people do but I just can't.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 am

Black Orchid wrote:GROSS. I cannot eat offal. I know people do but I just can't.
I saw IT’S made up of lung and spleen and served in a sesame seed roll and almost threw up! I can't stand offal, although my Mother used to do "lambs fry" (liver) every so often, for breakfast on a weekend, with lots of bacon and gravy. She used to soak it on the kitchen sink overnight and almost made me chuck! I have eaten "lambs brains" too and I recall somebody serving up Tripe (with onions in a white sauce) ... all when I was a kid and had to eat what was served, not what I liked. ;) I definitely would NOT attempt cooking any of that stuff. GROSS.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:08 am

My mother used to cook lambs fry for my father and sister occasionally. She kept trying to tempt me by saying it made beautiful gravy and I do like bacon but that certainly was not enough to entice me to eat it. I was lucky in the fact that I was never forced to eat anything I didn't like.

I could smell it the minute I came through the gate. To me it smells like dog poo.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:13 am

Black Orchid wrote:
I could smell it the minute I came through the gate. To me it smells like dog poo.
:rofl :rofl