Food and Drinkies

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Neferti

Food and Drinkies

Post by Neferti » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:49 pm

This is a thread to talk about what we/you eat and drink. Daily.

I wish to encourage those with "muffin tops" to explain what they have eaten, breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and nibbles in between. Don't forget that bottle of fizz, zillion coffees and so forth. C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S. they add up. ;)

Don't blame me. I got the idea from George/Monk who posts his every mouthful and how he prepares it and how it affects his mentality. I doubt Demi gets table scraps! So .... go for it. :rofl

PS You can lie in this thread. ;)

boxy

Re: Food and Drinkies

Post by boxy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:25 pm

So, I'm guessing that this is (in your mind) some sort of a zinger, aimed at someone. Kudos :roll:

Anyways... honey. What's the best way to discourage the ants from getting into it? No nuclear/chemical weapons option, thanks :P
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:54 am

boxy wrote:So, I'm guessing that this is (in your mind) some sort of a zinger, aimed at someone. Kudos :roll:

Anyways... honey. What's the best way to discourage the ants from getting into it? No nuclear/chemical weapons option, thanks :P
Monk suggests talcum powder in the ants nest. I wouldn't know as I have never had an ant problem and I don't eat honey.

mantra

Post by mantra » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:07 am

Neferti~ wrote: I wish to encourage those with "muffin tops" to explain what they have eaten, breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and nibbles in between. Don't forget that bottle of fizz, zillion coffees and so forth. C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S. they add up. ;)

Don't blame me. I got the idea from George/Monk who posts his every mouthful and how he prepares it and how it affects his mentality. I doubt Demi gets table scraps! So .... go for it. :rofl

PS You can lie in this thread. ;)
I'm surprised someone as petite as you Neferti would even give calories a second thought. What's a muffin top?

I usually don't worry about breakfast - but mid morning usually have a slice of very well cooked toast with salmon, sliced cucumber and lemon juice squeezed on top. Otherwise I'll have a hard boiled or poached egg on toast.

Unless I'm cooking for others, I don't worry about dinner, but late afternoon will sometimes have a medium sized piece of rump or porterhouse steak with a large bowl of mixed salad eg. variety of lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, grated carrot, celery, sliced radishes, maybe mushrooms etc. with lemon juice as a dressing.

Of course when I'm cooking for someone else - I cook what they like, otherwise - I could live on the above permanently.

In the cooler weather - I substitute the salad for steamed vegetables. Simple and tasty is how I like my food.

mellie

Post by mellie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am

Well, this morning I had a slice of wholemeal toast with promite with a microwaved poached egg on top.

Healthy, ready in under 3 minutes... suits me.

For lunch, (i'm going out) i'll have either a vegy rice paper roll (with sweet chilly sauce) or a sushi roll, (probably salmon and avocado today I think).... Mantras breakfast suggestion has given me a hankering for salmon.

Dinner is yet to be determined, need to give this some thought after consulting with others first.

:Hi

Ps- Before any of you turn your noses up at my breakfast, try it first.

It has to be promite toast with a soft poached gooey egg on top.

If you don't have a microwave egg poacher, just spray a small round bowl or plastic container with olive oil spray, add a table spoon of water, then crack the egg into it, stab the egg with a fork and cover securely with cling film (stab the cling film with a fork also, just once) and microwave for 30 seconds.
If it's not done, put it back in for 5 to 7 second intervals until done.
Remove egg with the fork you used to stab the egg with and serve on top of promite toast.

You could use vegemite too I guess.

I like both, but prefer promite for this recipe. :Hi
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

mellie

Post by mellie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 am

Oh, and a poached egg on top of either promite/vegemite half an english muffin works well too.

I alternate between toast and half an english muffin.

:Hi
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

mantra

Post by mantra » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 am

I've never tasted promite and assume it tastes similar to vegemite. Egg and vegemite? That's different. Vegemite, grilled cheese and sliced pickled gherkin together on toast is delicious too.

mellie

Post by mellie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 am

mantra wrote:
I've never tasted promite and assume it tastes similar to vegemite. Egg and vegemite? That's different. Vegemite, grilled cheese and sliced pickled gherkin together on toast is delicious too.

You've gotta try it Mantra... either Promite or vegemite will do...but I think promite is better for this recipe.

:lol:

OMG, you havent tried promite yet Mantra?

:o

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Monk suggests talcum powder in the ants nest. I wouldn't know as I have never had an ant problem and I don't eat honey.
If you run talcum powder along an ant trail the ants won't walk over it. They are probably repelled by the magnesium silicate composition. There is also debate about whether or not it is carcinogenic. You can also spray them with lemon or peppermint water.

Killing a whole nest is a tricky business because if you don't kill every one of them they branch out and make many more nests which would be worse than dealing with just one and keeping them out of your house.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:04 pm

I occasionally have a poached egg on Vegemite toast. Have done for many years.

I don't like Promite though.