Food and Drinkies

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Neferti

Re: Food and Drinkies

Post by Neferti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I tend to eat whatever takes my fancy, but in moderation. I won't substitute butter for margarine and I won't use sugar substitutes as I think the additives are highly carcinogenic.

For me, moderation is the key rather than substitution. Cancer data on Stevia is largely incomplete but I don't eat enough sugar to worry about it.
I am much the same. I use real butter - New Zealand's Buttersoft (salt reduced).

I've never used a sugar substitute. In fact, I used to take my coffee "white without sugar", but these days I have 2 teaspoons of sugar and skim milk.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Oh, I think Mel mentioned salmon. This is what I keep in the freezer for when I feel like Salmon. It takes 2 minutes in the Microwave and I have it with mashed potatoes and a green salad.

mellie

Post by mellie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm going to give that butter a go Nef.... all the other butter "soft" spreads I've tried never live up to their claim...or some go hard once you get about half way through the tub.

I love Salmon, and it freezes well too.

Always good to have in the freezer to throw on top/or through some noodles or pasta..or serve with a salad.
:Hi
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Mel,

Do not worry about the toddler. My sister has 2 sons who only ate chicken and chips for every meal. I was appalled but I was childless at that time. Balanced diet? :rofl

Anyway, those 2 boys grew up to be huge, strong males of 6'5".

mellie

Post by mellie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Mel,

Do not worry about the toddler. My sister has 2 sons who only ate chicken and chips for every meal. I was appalled but I was childless at that time. Balanced diet? :rofl

Anyway, those 2 boys grew up to be huge, strong males of 6'5".

Naa, i'm not too worried about it, she's pretty good on the tooth considering the stories I hear from other mums with same aged toddlers one of which would only eat cheese for a fortnight..hmmm.... and like I said, she has her Aptamil toddler milk twice a day, so that has everything she needs when she gets a bit picky.

She's decided she won't eat green veg this week, hmm.

Last week it was potato and pumpkin she wouldn't eat.

She loves salad... so...I cant complain really.

Her favorite veg right now is corn.
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

I use Butter Soft too. 100% real butter with no additives and easy to spread straight from the fridge.

One of my kids went through a food fad and wouldn't eat anything other than stewed apples and custard (both home made). It didn't hurt him.

mellie

Post by mellie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I use Butter Soft too. 100% real butter with no additives and easy to spread straight from the fridge.

One of my kids went through a food fad and wouldn't eat anything other than stewed apples and custard (both home made). It didn't hurt him.

I mean, I wouldn't say she's fussy...just a bit choosy from one week to the next when it comes to her prefered foods.

I read somewhere (might have been a Coles toddler and baby magazine) that this is normal, it's how young children acquire tastes for certain food groups.

It's like she does on food group to death...then moves onto the next.

If any of you have some inventive ways of getting toddlers to eat eggs.... by all means, share.

French toast and mini corn- fritters (frittatas) is as far as we've got.

:Hi

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Black Orchid wrote:I use Butter Soft too. 100% real butter with no additives and easy to spread straight from the fridge.

EVERYONE survives in a normal environment. Then they turn 15.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:17 pm

mellie wrote:If any of you have some inventive ways of getting toddlers to eat eggs.... by all means, share.
Home made custard?

mellie

Post by mellie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
mellie wrote:If any of you have some inventive ways of getting toddlers to eat eggs.... by all means, share.
Home made custard?

She loves custard.

I should probably make more of it... instead of trying to entice her to eat eggs as a main meal or as a breakfast dish.

I mean, it really doesn't matter what form they come in, so long as she has them, does it.

So if I serve custard on top of her weetbix tomorrow morning, you guys wont call DOCS, no?

:lol:

-jokes-