Food and Drinkies

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
mellie

Re: Food and Drinkies

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:42 am

My eldest daughter has Celiac disease.

Skip..it sounds as though your sister had an anaphylactic reaction to either food, drug, or venom, (insect bite).

Whilst they test for common foods, they dont and cant test for everything.

It's possible to suddenly develop a food, drug,or venom allergy as an adult.

A friend of mine developed a penicillin allergy in his late 30's.

She just needs to keep her epipen with her always, (I should also,i'm allergic to bees) and either it will never happen again *fingers crossed*, or sooner or later she'll figure out what it is that's causing her anaphylaxis.

It might be worthwhile getting a referral to an Immunologist or allergist, if she hasn't already been referred by the hospital registra.
I doubt she has, because it's only been 10 days or so and they can't test with the antihistamines still in her system for days, she needs to see her GP to get a referral for more extensive testing.

She would have just had the basic skin-prick or blood tests in hospital.

It could have been some sort of uncommon insect that bit her, Skip.

I have seen an adult have an anaphylactic reaction to a green ant. :|

Also, theres exercise induced anaphylaxis, though this is quite rare.
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:05 am

Yea it happens a few weeks ago and she was in hospital for ten days because she kept having reactions and they don't know why. She has had all the allergy tests and even had some tests that needed to be sent to Melbourne ( she lives in Sydney, I don't know why they need to send them to Melbourne though).
My mother who is celiac did not test positive until she was nearly sixty, same as her brother.
Because of my mother both my sister and I have been tested and were negative but it still could come out later in life. My neighbour had an anaphylactic reaction to an ant bite too. I read the other day some Australians are dying from them lately.

mantra

Post by mantra » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 am

skippy wrote:He must be pretty fit and healthy on that diet. In a way he's lucky as he knows no better.
He is extremely fit, healthy and strong and always has been aside from his allergies for a short time when he was younger. He has always gotten irritated if I've tried to tempt him with something unhealthy. On the other hand my daughter who loves chocolate and fried chicken weighs 50kg at 167 cm, but eats like a sparrow and always has. I didn't force my children to eat anything they didn't want or to finish their meals because I didn't want them to have weight issues as they got older. Children start off only eating what they need, but too many parents force them to eat all their meals believing they need the nutrition.
skippy wrote:She has even had a professor check her out who had " special" tests done and still nothing shows up.
They've given her an epipen and said we don't know what you're alergic to.

They have her on a gluten free diet ( my mum is coeliac) and she is not allowed to eat seafood either as she'd eaten prawns the day she had the first reaction, but she was tested for prawns and it showed she was not alergic to them.
She might have accidentally eaten a bit of the prawn shell. I get itchy hands when I unpeel prawns, so know there's an underlying allergy. A lot of us are probably allergic to a variety of foods, but tolerate them for many years until our immune system starts to deteriorate. I had an allergic reaction a couple of times not so long ago, although not as severely as your sister. It is a terrifying experience. The first time I was eating a jaffa and the next time a licorice allsort. I put it down to the colouring and/or flavour in the sweet. If I want something sweet now - I stick to fruit, but take the skin off first.

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 am

skippy wrote:Yea it happens a few weeks ago and she was in hospital for ten days because she kept having reactions and they don't know why. She has had all the allergy tests and even had some tests that needed to be sent. Melbourne ( she lives in Sydney, I don't know why they need to send them to Melbourne though).
My mother who is celiac did not test positive until she was nearly sixty, same as her brother.
Because of my mother both my sister and I have been tested and were negative but it still could come out later in life.
Anaphylactic reactions caused by wheat allergy are usually seen in children, not adults, so I doubt her possible celiacs has anything to do with this anaphylactic reaction.

It's sounding more like a reaction to an insect bite Skip...assuming all the food allergy tests have been done.

Has she seen an actual immunologist or allergist?

Given it's only been three weeks, I doubt she's had all the testing, because some of the more comprehensive testing can take several weeks, sometimes months to complete.

It's also quite expensive, not covered by medicare unfortunately.

The basic testing is, but the more comprehensive testing by immunologists and allergists comes with a hefty price tag.

Probably just better to wait and see if it ever happens again, ...I have only been stung by one bee in my lifetime, what are the odds of my being stung again

Furthermore, I refuse to pay out hundreds to thousands of dollars to have my simple bee venom allergy confirmed.

If I were allergic to lots of things, and or kept having unexplained anaphylactic reactions, then I would.

I was bitten on the foot when I was 3, (I trod on the bee accidently playing in clover) my foot swole up, I developed an all over rash, and my throat started to close.

I went to hospital, they gave me adrenalin and antihistamines, spent the night in a children's ward, and I was allowed to go home the next day.

Your sister has her epipen, so she'll be ok if it happens again.
~A climate change denier is what an idiot calls a realist~https://g.co/kgs/6F5wtU

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:28 am

Neferti~ wrote:This is a thread to talk about what we/you eat and drink. Daily.

I wish to encourage those with "muffin tops" to explain what they have eaten, breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and nibbles in between. Don't forget that bottle of fizz, zillion coffees and so forth. C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S. they add up. ;)

Don't blame me. I got the idea from George/Monk who posts his every mouthful and how he prepares it and how it affects his mentality. I doubt Demi gets table scraps! So .... go for it. :rofl
Nef, people who talk about food all day are just bored and need to get out more. They're probably overweight too. And those who sit online all day posting about food ...don't cook, coz they leave themselves no time for cooking.

Our family sticks to a weekly menu plan and we shop accordingly.

Oh....and we grow heaps of fresh organic stuff ourselves too.

End of.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 am

lisa jones wrote:

I wish to encourage those with "muffin tops" to explain what they have eaten, breakfast, lunch and dinner ... and nibbles in between. Don't forget that bottle of fizz, zillion coffees and so forth. C.A.L.O.R.I.E.S. they add up. ;)

Don't blame me. I got the idea from George/Monk who posts his every mouthful and how he prepares it and how it affects his mentality. I doubt Demi gets table scraps! So .... go for it. :rofl
Nef, people who talk about food all day are just bored and need to get out more. They're probably overweight too.

I am having trouble trolling this thread, so Id refer people stopped talking amongst themselves about things that don't concern me and pay more attention to me.

You see, it's all about me.

End of.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:36 am

mellie wrote:
lisa jones wrote:

Nef, people who talk about food all day are just bored and need to get out more. They're probably overweight too.

End of.

I am having trouble trolling this thread, so Id refer people stopped talking amongst themselves about things that don't concern me and pay more attention to me.

You see, it's all about me.

Lovely. An entire post consisting of my own post.

Thanks for misquoting me.... I'm totally flattered. Now off you go..pop your pills, have a shower...do a few loads of washing. Lord knows how filthy your home must be.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:48 am

Speaking of itchy hands and feet Mantra.... I get excruciatingly itchy feet when I take my daughter to the free water playground at Olympic park, and get itchy all over when I get into my parents outdoor spa. I think it's the bromide. :roll:

Re- you getting itchy hands when you peel prawns... do you eat prawns?

Also, according to this article, some people are allergic to the protein found in the shrimps shell, a protein not found in the meat itself.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294628/

mantra

Post by mantra » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:14 pm

mellie wrote:Re- you getting itchy hands when you peel prawns... do you eat prawns?
Yes - like most people, I love prawns. I just googled it and apparently it's quite common. Someone suggested it might be the bleach used when cooking prawns. I didn't know they used bleach. It's common to be allergic to the shell, but not the meat inside. The solution is to wear very long rubber gloves when peeling them.

mellie

Post by mellie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 pm

mantra wrote:
mellie wrote:Re- you getting itchy hands when you peel prawns... do you eat prawns?
Yes - like most people, I love prawns. I just googled it and apparently it's quite common. Someone suggested it might be the bleach used when cooking prawns. I didn't know they used bleach. It's common to be allergic to the shell, but not the meat inside. The solution is to wear very long rubber gloves when peeling them.

It's probably the protein (refer to the above article) found in the shell only then.

Be really careful you don't eat any of the shell.

Gosh, imagine how you would react if you ate a bit of the shell if it has this effect on your hands.

When I come in contact with bromine (a chlorine used for spas and pools with spray jets) I get so itchy.

Regular chlorines fine though.