What the fuck

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
AiA in Atlanta

What the fuck

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:39 am

What the fuck is up with 6 generations of parents teaching kids not to swear?
Seriously, it does absolutely nothing.

Super Nova

Re: What the fuck

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

I don't fuck'n agree. I teach my daughter not to use bad words. I think it is important so you have restraint in certain social and work situations. It is about learning restraint. As an aussie I have had to reduce the use of swear words as I travel because some people and some culture see it as very bad and can be damaging if used. The POM business and upper glass use it to pigeon hole you and that will set a class ceiling. Luckily for us we are OK because they just say "he's an Australian" and it is OK.

So I think it is about learning when it is Ok to swear and learn some restraint skills to use it on demand with control reathr than in every conversation no matter the audience. Also to learn when it is effective as a communications tool. It is very powerful when used properly and not all the time. if I let fly everyone knows it's fuck'n serious.

For example. You wouldn't go to a job interview and us full aussie colour in your language. You would use restraint. For those that cannot they will not get th job unless it is on a building site or driving a truck.

You wouldn't speak to the queen and say "how the fuck are you love and your son is a bit of a c.nt"
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 am

Teaching children to use swear words appropriately, effectively and creatively is quite different from the usual "don't use bad words" nonsense.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Teaching children to use swear words appropriately, effectively and creatively is quite different from the usual "don't use bad words" nonsense.
I think you must start with, do not use the bad words.

They then learn to use them in the presences of their peers when the adults cannot hear. First step in the restraint training and choosing your behavior depending on the audience. All kids swear when adults cannot hear. That is part of the learning. So I don't agree.

Control of your language, not just the use of swear words is an important social skill.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

skippy

Post by skippy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:12 am

Interesting. I have never toned down my swearing in front of my son if I am pissd off I say so with what ever language comes out.
While I have heard him use minor swear words occasionally he has never said fuck in front of me ever and if he hears me use words like that I often get the " swearing dad" .

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:16 am

skippy wrote:Interesting. I have never toned down my swearing in front of my son if I am pissd off I say so with what ever language comes out.
While I have heard him use minor swear words occasionally he has never said fuck in front of me ever and if he hears me use words like that I often get the " swearing dad" .
I let loose on the phone the other day and used fuck a few times. My daughter just told me I used bad words. I explained this and had a chat. She explained she never uses it but the boys use "fucking" all the time at school. So they learn. She doesn't swear around me but I let her ask what the words mean. So far she doesn't understand the meaning yet for the F word and when the C word comes I will send her to her mother.

She is 9. I look forward to the teens where I am sure I will be the one getting the swearing education. :o

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:25 am

Super Nova wrote:
AiA in Atlanta wrote:Teaching children to use swear words appropriately, effectively and creatively is quite different from the usual "don't use bad words" nonsense.
I think you must start with, do not use the bad words.

They then learn to use them in the presences of their peers when the adults cannot hear. First step in the restraint training and choosing your behavior depending on the audience. All kids swear when adults cannot hear. That is part of the learning. So I don't agree.

Control of your language, not just the use of swear words is an important social skill.
This is correct.

A child does not understand the context of appropriate or socially aware language skills so they need to be taught self control first of all, which is "nope, not allowed"
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:44 am

I have a friend whose daughter, when in Kindergarten (way back in the 80s), told the teacher ... "my daddy fucks me" ... the teacher rang her mother in distress ... the child hadn't a clue what the word "fuck" meant and she was actually saying that her father SMACKS her (on the bottom for being naughty). :rofl

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:47 am

I think children should be taught that it is wrong to swear and we can only lead them by example. They WILL swear when they get older of course but if the example is already set they will use swearing only as a too.

If I let fly people really know that I am serious and sit back and take notice. If I swore in every sentence they would take no notice and, most likely, just tune out.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 am

My wife and I have never really used those words around our daughter. Plus, she spent the first half of her life in Japan so she certainly didn't hear them there. Now she uses "fuck" quite freely. She didn't pick it up from us.

That is what I meant when I said it does absolutely nothing.