The Butterfly Forest update

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
sprintcyclist

The Butterfly Forest update

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:30 am

Some months ago we planted a butterfly forest - it covers the whole of our backyard.
It's going well. Due to no rain I water it a few times a week.
The mulch has been gulped down by the soil, that's a good thing. I'll put another 5M onto it ASAP.
Many of the new plants are continually getting 'munched' by the animals there.
That is the idea of it. It's a nature sanctuary and the animals we want eat foliage.

We already pretty much always have butterflies there now.
The butterfly attracting vines and trees we planted are still only small.
When they grow this could be really something.

I spent many hours designing and perfecting the path. I did 3 field research trips to see what we liked in a forest path.
I modified it 3 times to get it right. It curves, is flat, covered in sugar cane mulch, has banked corners, has some 'swagger' .
The path had to be right. Inviting and convincing. It's the human contact zone.
One of the butterfly trees ( a 'bleeding heart') has a curve in the trunk that will lean right over the path in only the way nature does.

I made some simple garden benches out of wooden sleepers.
Sitting there and having a few beers is one of the pleasures in life.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Re: The Butterfly Forest update

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am

It sounds awesome Sprint. Put up some pics when you can?

I have been noticing more and more butterflies around after a long absence and I never realised that I hadn't seen any for so long until they started appearing again.

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:53 am

Black Orchid wrote:It sounds awesome Sprint. Put up some pics when you can?

I have been noticing more and more butterflies around after a long absence and I never realised that I hadn't seen any for so long until they started appearing again.
Although not technically a butterfly a month ago there was a giant light lime green LUNAR MOTH on my window.

These moths are massive and beautiful and come out only at night usually when the moon is shining.

It was abut 10 inches long and 6 inches wide and a beautiful light lime green color.

Warrior

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 am

Warrior wrote:

Although not technically a butterfly a month ago there was a giant light lime green LUNAR MOTH on my window.

These moths are massive and beautiful and come out only at night usually when the moon is shining.

It was abut 10 inches long and 6 inches wide and a beautiful light lime green color.

Warrior

Goodness, terrific
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am

sprintcyclist wrote:
Warrior wrote:

Warrior

Goodness, terrific

Here are pics of some Lunar Moths and they do grow very large.

LINK.....https://www.google.com/search?q=lunar+m ... 93&bih=530

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:08 am

WOW they are amazing. We do not have them here. :cry:

Alinta

Post by Alinta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am

Warrior wrote:

Warrior
That would be sheer terror for me!!!!!!

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 am

Black Orchid wrote:WOW they are amazing. We do not have them here. :cry:

Like I said they can grow very large and in the past while sitting out back by the pool at night with guests a Luna Moth flew down and landed right on the head of a lady I know and I had to grab her arm to prevent her from killing it as she had no idea what it was as they are large and actually have a bit of weight to them.

She told me she thought it was a BAT that landed on her head!!

LOL!!

Warrior

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am

Alinta wrote:
Warrior wrote:

Warrior
LOL!!!

Really they are very gentile creatures and they could not hurt you.

Warrior

Alinta

Post by Alinta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 am

Warrior wrote:
Alinta wrote:
Warrior wrote:

Warrior
LOL!!!

Really they are very gentile creatures and they could not hurt you.

Warrior
Yep Warrior, I know my fear makes no sense to most people........have been terrified of moths since childhood.