The Butterfly Forest update

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
sprintcyclist

Re: The Butterfly Forest update

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

I always feel safe when I am with Animal lovers.

A few weeks ago I saw an injured Stick Insect on the stairway to the busway.
She was obviously in trouble and might not live.
A steel, glass and rubber environment is NOT the place for a creature like that to die in.
I picked her up and took her to some trees, found a flat large branch to rest her on.
She relaxed as soon as she felt the wood. Poor lady.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 pm

My own butterfly - hummingbird - bee garden turned out very well this season: I planted pollinator seeds (all annuals) in the spring surrounded by Miss Huff Lantana (a perennial) and the whole area was alive with those creatures. The best hummingbird attractor is Agastache, but that I have only in the front yard. Next year I am doing more of that.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:01 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:My own butterfly - hummingbird - bee garden turned out very well this season: I planted pollinator seeds (all annuals) in the spring surrounded by Miss Huff Lantana (a perennial) and the whole area was alive with those creatures. The best hummingbird attractor is Agastache, but that I have only in the front yard. Next year I am doing more of that.
The Agastache looks pretty. Similar to a Lavender plant ?

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:59 am

sprintcyclist wrote:
AiA in Atlanta wrote:My own butterfly - hummingbird - bee garden turned out very well this season: I planted pollinator seeds (all annuals) in the spring surrounded by Miss Huff Lantana (a perennial) and the whole area was alive with those creatures. The best hummingbird attractor is Agastache, but that I have only in the front yard. Next year I am doing more of that.
No, nothing at all like lavender. Bees love them too. Most varieties do well in dry, lean soil but there are a few varieties that do well in moist, wet climates.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:50 am

More about Agastache and other Butterfly garden plants.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden ... plants.htm

You can get Agastache plants in Oz, but unfortunately, no Humming Birds. :meet

http://www.nurseriesonline.com.au/plant ... agastache/

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:
sprintcyclist wrote:
No, nothing at all like lavender. Bees love them too. Most varieties do well in dry, lean soil but there are a few varieties that do well in moist, wet climates.
..................Most varieties do well in dry, lean soil............
could go well around here then

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:05 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:I always feel safe when I am with Animal lovers.

A few weeks ago I saw an injured Stick Insect on the stairway to the busway.
She was obviously in trouble and might not live.
A steel, glass and rubber environment is NOT the place for a creature like that to die in.
I picked her up and took her to some trees, found a flat large branch to rest her on.
She relaxed as soon as she felt the wood. Poor lady.
As a Hunter I am a staunch supporter of wildlife conservation and I always eat what I kill.

I am particular as far as what I will hunt as I mainly hunt Deer.....as Massachusetts has a massive over population of deer as we need more hunters as the deer population is so great in number many deer are starving and dying in our incredibly harsh and cold winters as well the deer are eating young saplings from around lakes and reservoirs causing erosion around the shores as well so many deer result in disease.

The ONLY good thing that has come out of such a massively large deer population is the return of large predators such as Mountain Lion, Bear, Wolf and Coyotes.

I often see Mountain Lion in my back yard as well a bear was ripping up a bird feeder at a relatives house a few days ago which I confronted.

The bear was a large male about 450 to 500 lbs as I keep telling this relative NOT to fill bird feeders in the summer and fall months and just to wait till winter when the bears are hibernating.

I do not hunt bear but I do hunt deer, wild boar, pheasant, partridge, quail, wild turkey....etc.

Everything I kill we eat and nothing is wasted.

Because of sweeping very tough environmental laws in the U.S. our lakes, streams and rivers are clean in the extreme and we can swim in them as well many rivers are so clean they can be used as drinking water sources.

The banning of certain pesticides decades ago such as DDT has resulted in the return of large populations of Birds of Prey such as red tailed hawks, Peregrine Falcons, Bald Eagles, all sorts of Owls...etc.

As well 100% of all money collected for fishing and hunting licenses and permits goes directly to WILDLIFE PRESERVATION.

Warrior.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:45 pm

that is great warrior.

those are the jungle laws.

1. You can kill if it is for food.

2. You can kill to save a life.

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:that is great warrior.

I hate Trophy Hunters.

Damn scum bags.

And even though I have harvested many a deer with either firearm or bow I NEVER display the antlers.

Thanks man.

Warrior.

Warrior

Post by Warrior » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:that is great warrior.

One thing that really bothers me is because people and especially kids today as so removed from the process of killing or slaughtering the animals that provide the meat that they eat they tend to waste food such as animal meat without understanding the sacrifice of the life of that animal in order to put that food on the table for them.

I strongly believe every child should participate in a hunt or slaughter of an animal so they can understand that sacrifice.

It makes me angry to no end when they waste such animal meat.

Warrior.