When in Rome, do as the Roman's do?

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.

Do you agree with the statement, "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do?"

Yes
92%
No
No votes
Only in certain circumstances
8%

Total votes: 13

brian ross

Re: When in Rome, do as the Roman's do?

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:57 pm

BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm
""However should not allow that to obscure how or why they did such things.""

They enjoy a good piss up and a little blood letting
Rather like Australians do, hey? Tsk, tsk.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:58 pm

BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm
brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:30 pm
BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 am
brian ross wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 pm
BigP wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:32 pm
No romance here Brian, all ancient cultures were brutal , It was all about taking and holding territory
You introduced the concept of "theatre" to the discussion, not me. It is all about the method of doing both. The Romans decided it was better to use bloody spectacle rather studied politics...
You took me a little to literally Brian, And it still comes back to the point that the Romans were no worse than their contemporary's, It was a bloody period in human history
You wrote it, how else was I to take it?

All history is bloody, some more so than others. The Romans enjoyed blood sports, they liked keeping slaves, they liked destroying entire peoples. I suppose we can thank them for the Jewish Diaspora, the spread of Christianity, great (for the period) science and learning. However should not allow that to obscure how or why they did such things.
lol, are you a little on the spectrum Brian .
Meaning?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm

brian ross wrote:
You introduced the concept of "theatre" to the discussion, not me. It is all about the method of doing both. The Romans decided it was better to use bloody spectacle rather studied politics...
Much like many of our ME friends do? Hmmm! :roll:

BigP

Post by BigP » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:27 pm

brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:58 pm
BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm
brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:30 pm
BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 am
brian ross wrote:

You took me a little to literally Brian, And it still comes back to the point that the Romans were no worse than their contemporary's, It was a bloody period in human history
You wrote it, how else was I to take it?

All history is bloody, some more so than others. The Romans enjoyed blood sports, they liked keeping slaves, they liked destroying entire peoples. I suppose we can thank them for the Jewish Diaspora, the spread of Christianity, great (for the period) science and learning. However should not allow that to obscure how or why they did such things.
lol, are you a little on the spectrum Brian .
Meaning?
Aspergers or similar,,

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm

BigP wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Aspergers or similar,,
Nope. No where near it. Tsk, tsk.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm
brian ross wrote:
I wasn't aware that any of "our ME friends" had built arenas, had gladiatorial games, massacre games or kept slaves. Perhaps you have a different circle of friends to the rest of us, BO?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 pm

brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:18 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
brian ross wrote:
I wasn't aware that any of "our ME friends" had built arenas, had gladiatorial games, massacre games or kept slaves. Perhaps you have a different circle of friends to the rest of us, BO?
Not that I said that but, now you have implied that I have, do you deny Islamists kidnap and keep slaves (school children in fact) and perform 'theatre' by beheading people in streets and on videos?

If that's not 'theatre' and 'massacre games' what is it?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 pm
brian ross wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Not that I said that but, now you have implied that I have, do you deny Islamists kidnap and keep slaves (school children in fact) and perform 'theatre' by beheading people in streets and on videos?

If that's not 'theatre' and 'massacre games' what is it?
Well, only a tiny minority of Muslims "kidnap school children", BO. None of my "ME friends" do that at all. Do any of your "ME friends"?

As for your definition of "theatre" again, only a tiny minority of Muslims carry out those acts. None of my "ME friends" do that all. What about your "ME friends"?

The point you appear to miss is that when you say, "Muslims", you imply all Muslims do this. The Overwhelming majority of Muslims are peaceful, law-abiding, well behaved individuals, despite what it seems you appear to believe. How about instead of implying that you believe all Muslims do these things you preface your claims with the words, "a tiny minority" of Muslims? Or do you prefer to slander 1.6 Billion people?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm

BigP wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm
BigP wrote:
Aspergers or similar,,
You are in denial lol
As the parent of a child who has Autism, I suspect I know a lot more about the Autism and the Aspberger's Spectrum than you do. I do not have either problem. Indeed, I am offended by your attempting to claim I do.

BigP

Post by BigP » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:31 am

brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm
BigP wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm
BigP wrote:
Aspergers or similar,,
You are in denial lol
As the parent of a child who has Autism, I suspect I know a lot more about the Autism and the Aspberger's Spectrum than you do. I do not have either problem. Indeed, I am offended by your attempting to claim I do.

Im sorry to hear that Brian, There is increasing evidence that it is inherited, We have a friend with and autistic daughter, Her brother has two profoundly autistic sons, more than a coincident I would think,,