Killings 2017

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Killings 2017

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm

WITH a new year looming, most of us are thinking about the things we’d like to achieve or change in 2018.

In between our vows to lose weight, get fit, eradicate bad habits, enjoy more cultural activities, spend extra time with family and friends and have better lives, it would be great to add one new pledge.

Standing up against violence.

This year about three Australians have been killed at someone else’s hand per week.

Yes. You read that right.

At least 170 Australian women, men and children lost their lives to violence in 2017.

A further 41 deaths are being investigated, so the toll could be as high as 210 killings.

Femicide Australia Project research shows 108 adult men were killed as were 48 adult women and 17 children and young people.

The Femicide Australia Project is made up of a small group of volunteers who document every violent death in Australia.

The information comes from a range of sources including police and media outlets.

Only violent deaths where police have charged one or more people are included in the tally.

Of course, all those charged are presumed innocent unless convicted in a court of law.

What the research reveals

This year’s data shows that men continue to be the primary victims and the primary perpetrators of violent deaths.

Blokes accounted for a whopping 82 per cent of those charged with murders or manslaughters committed this year.

Males were involved in 82.6 per cent of adult male deaths, 93.5 per cent of adult female deaths and 55.6 per cent of child and youth deaths.

Women, on the other hand, were charged in 12.5 per cent of all deaths, with 10.3 per cent accused in adult male killings, 6.5 per cent of adult female killings and 44.4 per cent of child killings.

In a small number of cases there were multiple perpetrators.

Domestic violence continues to be a major factor in Australian deaths.

Former or current partners or family members were charged in 39 per cent of the killings in 2017.

About 47.5 per cent were committed by strangers, friends or associates of the victims while ‘relationship unknown’ applies to 13.6 per cent of cases.

Not surprisingly, most of the female and child deaths led to a relative being charged, with 72.9 per cent of femicides and 76.5 per cent of filicides allegedly committed by a loved one.

Total men killed = 108. Total women killed = 48. Total children and young people killed = 17.
More at https://www.couriermail.com.au/rendezvi ... 1536029584

cods

Re: Killings 2017

Post by cods » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm

what is the cause do you think BO?

men seem to have BIG anger issues....which seem to me to be getting worse....yet we live in times where everyone seems to have EVERYTHING....no real reason to be unhappy....

everything unpleasant is getting worse I think.. shoplifting..young teens out of control....now we have fortnite which by the sound of things.is going to do so much harm to the next generation on 60 Min on Sunday night it was said these boys spend so long just playing this game no school or social life ! that some of their brain cells are dying.. a new generation of Zombies.....who if the games are taken away from them create almost murder........yes I can see it ending up that way down the track... parents are in fear of these kids... and its not from drugs....

Black Orchid

Re: Killings 2017

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:03 pm

I watched 60 minutes with my oldest son and he was appalled that the parents didn't just take away those kids' internet rights. It was a classic case of weak parenting. No school for 2 years at 14? Give me a break!

As for the killing stats I believe many domestic violence stats are taken from remote communities and I really think those particular stats need to stay separate to get a true picture of things.