There are still some gentlemen around

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Redneck

There are still some gentlemen around

Post by Redneck » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:52 am

Is this still okay in 2021? Debate erupts after Australian gentleman's 'old-fashioned' act before boarding the bus

Jim Blackwell sparked debate on TikTok after detailing his recent bus experience
The retiree said he left a bus driver shocked after letting a woman board first
He asked if the gesture was still socially appropriate or if times had changed
Many said it was sadly now old fashion and praised him for being a gentleman
But others said it was still a standard form of etiquette by those around them

An Australian retiree has sparked heated debate online after asking whether or not it is still socially appropriate to let women go first on public transport.

Jim Blackwell shared a video on TikTok detailing his experience catching a bus to his local coffee shop in Queensland's Sunshine Coast on Tuesday.

The former journalist said he let a women board before him and was taken aback by the driver's shocked response.

'The 60-year-old bus driver said to me "How nice to see someone act like a gentleman",' Mr Blackwell said.

'I thought that was standard to do that, or am I insulting people? Should I just barge on?'

'When I was a kid, a young fella, going to first jobs and that, [men] would wear porkpie hats, and if you saw a woman you would tip your hat to her.

The former journalist said perhaps he was 'getting too old', but questioned whether he was acting 'funny' or if the form the etiquette was still widely used.

Many praised Mr Blackman for being a gentleman, but ruefully admitted the gesture was no longer in fashion

'No. your being a good gentleman not many around anymore,' a woman said.

'Nah, I’ve stopped doing it - doesn’t matter if you’re a lady, no special treatment,' one man added.

'It's not standard. some GenX and millennials didn't teach that to their children,' another woman wrote.

That's an old fashioned notion mate, they want more than equal now so If I'm in line ahead and they are able bodied - it's no dice,' a fourth said.

But others disagreed, arguing the practice is still a common courtesy.

'I’m in my early 50’s Jim, and I believe what you done is the norm. If I was sitting on a full bus, I would vacate my seat and give it to a lady,' another man replied.

It's standard within my life,' someone else wrote.

Although chivalry may have diminished in modern times, a study in 2018 found women still prefer gentlemanly treatment.

The research by dating website EHarmony found up to 82 per cent of women favour traditional acts of courtesy such as having the door opened for them while 90 per cent want to be picked up in a car for a date.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... naXKekjsvs

What are your thoughts?