New terror threat in Indonesia

America, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world
Neferti

New terror threat in Indonesia

Post by Neferti » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Australian government warns of new terror threat in Indonesia

AUSTRALIANS travelling to Indonesia have been advised to exercise a high degree of caution following intelligence about potential terrorist attacks.

The Department of Foreign Affairs says it is receiving information that indicates terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, which could take place at any time.

“You should exercise particular caution around locations that have a low level of protective security and avoid places known to be possible terrorist targets,” the department says in its latest travel advice.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said Australia was monitoring the situation in Indonesia “very closely”.

“There is always a need for caution when travelling overseas,” the Foreign Minister told reporters in Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 7176087771

Black Orchid

Re: New terror threat in Indonesia

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Very few places left that I wish to travel to and Indonesia is NOT one of them.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Ditto. I have no desire to go to Bali, Thailand or anywhere else in that region.

What still gets me is that some people who travel have no idea, don't have travel insurance and if they get into trouble, expect the Federal Government to get them out of it. Could be partly due to booking online, choose, click and use your credit card but in the "olden days" when you actually went to a Travel Agent, they told you all about that stuff. Group Travel is different but what young people do (or can afford) that?

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Black Orchid wrote:Very few places left that I wish to travel to and Indonesia is NOT one of them.
I lived in Indonesia and there are a few placed I travelled to that were definitely worth seeing.

krakatoa

Borobudur

Bali sucks big time. Just another tourist rip-off.

The 1000 island were cool too.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:55 pm

I haven't been to Japan, would love to go there. I have a friend in Tokyo that I have been communicating with since about 1996. Also had a Canadian friend who lived in Tokyo for many years when he was an Journalist. I've never heard a bad word about Tokyo, despite it being such a huge bustling City. Anyone had experience there?

Just checked.

Tokyo 13.35 million
NYC 8.405 million
London 8.308 million
Sydney 4.576 million
Melbourne 4.077 million

Puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?