New Zealand bans offshore oil and gas exploration

America, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world
Black Orchid

New Zealand bans offshore oil and gas exploration

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Permits for offshore oil and gas exploration will no longer be issued by the New Zealand Government as part of its commitment to a clean energy future.

The move will not affect existing permits for exploration or extraction, meaning the industry is likely to continue in the nation for several more decades.

The decision under Labour Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is a change in direction after nine years of conservative leadership which favoured expanding the industry.

Ms Ardern, who was elected Prime Minister last year, has pledged to reduce the country's net greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050.

Her Government also plans to plant 100 million trees each year and ensure the electricity grid runs entirely from renewable energy.

The oil and gas industry is relatively small in New Zealand, employing about 11,000 people and accounting for about 1 per cent of the overall economy.

It is dwarfed in importance by farming and tourism.

But the industry is important to the Taranaki region, where most of the activity is centred.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-12/n ... ts/9645092

OK it is small business there but a step in the right direction nonetheless.

BigP

Re: New Zealand bans offshore oil and gas exploration

Post by BigP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm

They have another two years to fuck the country and then they will be kicked to the curb,,

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm

I think countries like Australia and New Zealand should really be chasing the tourist dollar. As the world becomes more over-developed, over-populated and polluted, countries like Australia and New Zealand (if they kept reasonably 'green') will eventually become tourist meccas, as the world wants to see what raw nature once looked like.

I'm a totally hypocrite though because I think Australia should start selling more uranium :P

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm

BigP wrote:They have another two years to fuck the country and then they will be kicked to the curb,,
With the tectonic instability down there I wouldn't want offshore drilling period.

BigP

Post by BigP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Mistress Nicole wrote:I think countries like Australia and New Zealand should really be chasing the tourist dollar. As the world becomes more over-developed, over-populated and polluted, countries like Australia and New Zealand (if they kept reasonably 'green') will eventually become tourist meccas, as the world wants to see what raw nature once looked like.

I'm a totally hypocrite though because I think Australia should start selling more uranium :P
Thats all fine and dandy Nic , but without oil the tourists wont be able to get here lol

BigP

Post by BigP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
BigP wrote:They have another two years to fuck the country and then they will be kicked to the curb,,
With the tectonic instability down there I wouldn't want offshore drilling period.
a few shakes every now and then livens things up a bit

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Mistress Nicole wrote:I think countries like Australia and New Zealand should really be chasing the tourist dollar. As the world becomes more over-developed, over-populated and polluted, countries like Australia and New Zealand (if they kept reasonably 'green') will eventually become tourist meccas, as the world wants to see what raw nature once looked like.

Tourism yes.

Uranium I am not so sure. There are supposed safeguards in place that all our Uranium goes strictly towards electrical power generation only but with our biggest exports going to India, Russia, China and UAE I have serious doubts.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 pm

BigP wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:
a few shakes every now and then livens things up a bit
I can think of better ways lol

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm

BigP wrote:

Thats all fine and dandy Nic , but without oil the tourists wont be able to get here lol
Lolz P. Let the other countries pollute their own lands, and leave the Land of The Long White Cloud it's natural beauty.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Black Orchid wrote:

Tourism yes.

Uranium I am not so sure. There are supposed safeguards in place that all our Uranium goes strictly towards electrical power generation only but with our biggest exports going to India, Russia, China and UAE I have serious doubts.
Fair point well made :)