New Zealand bans offshore oil and gas exploration

America, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world
Nicole

Re: New Zealand bans offshore oil and gas exploration

Post by Nicole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Mistress Nicole wrote:I think countries like Australia and New Zealand should really be chasing the tourist dollar. As the world becomes more over-developed, over-populated and polluted, countries like Australia and New Zealand (if they kept reasonably 'green') will eventually become tourist meccas, as the world wants to see what raw nature once looked like.

I'm a totally hypocrite though because I think Australia should start selling more uranium :P
Tourism yes.

Uranium I am not so sure. There are supposed safeguards in place that all our Uranium goes strictly towards electrical power generation only but with our biggest exports going to India, Russia, China and UAE I have serious doubts.
Fair point well made :)

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 pm

..................The move will not affect existing permits for exploration or extraction, meaning the industry is likely to continue in the nation for several more decades....................
Probably not a big change really.

I have heard a bad report on the new PM of NZ.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

BigP

Post by BigP » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
BigP wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:
BigP wrote:They have another two years to fuck the country and then they will be kicked to the curb,,
With the tectonic instability down there I wouldn't want offshore drilling period.
a few shakes every now and then livens things up a bit
I can think of better ways lol
Was in Christchurch on the second floor of a hotel when a 5,5 hit that was exciting lol

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Hey BigP, sorry this is completely off-topic, but have you been to Hobbit Town?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:59 pm

BigP wrote:Was in Christchurch on the second floor of a hotel when a 5,5 hit that was exciting lol
I was in California when a small one struck and I didn't consider it exciting and I was on the ground! lol

BigOl64

Post by BigOl64 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Mistress Nicole wrote:I think countries like Australia and New Zealand should really be chasing the tourist dollar. As the world becomes more over-developed, over-populated and polluted, countries like Australia and New Zealand (if they kept reasonably 'green') will eventually become tourist meccas, as the world wants to see what raw nature once looked like.

I'm a totally hypocrite though because I think Australia should start selling more uranium :P

Who really aspires to be a part time servant earning minimum wages in the tourist industry?

Construction, manufacturing and resources is wealth is generated, being a cleaner / waiter / wage slave is soul destroying for people with aspiration to do better in life.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm

BigOl64 wrote:

Who really aspires to be a part time servant earning minimum wages in the tourist industry?

Construction, manufacturing and resources is wealth is generated, being a cleaner / waiter / wage slave is soul destroying for people with aspiration to do better in life.
Very few involved in mining work in a safe environment and the majority, who work underground, are highly susceptible to developing cancer, particularly lung cancer.

BigOl64

Post by BigOl64 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 am

Black Orchid wrote:
BigOl64 wrote:

Very few involved in mining work in a safe environment and the majority, who work underground, are highly susceptible to developing cancer, particularly lung cancer.

I worked in mining for many years, it isn't as safe as sitting in a cafe making a double shot soy latte, but it is a much more fulfilling job that's for sure.

I have worked underground metaliferous, you couldn't pay me enough to work underground coal. Mining companies will either make things safer of their own accord or they will be forced to make things safer.

Tourism work is deadhead monkey work, it pay poorly it is usually not permanent and in the off season you need to rely on some other form of income. I genuinely feel sad for tourism workers lock into a cycle of poverty and hardship.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 am

I've never worked in a mine.

What is it like ?
Pretty tough I'ld imagine
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

BigP

Post by BigP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:I've never worked in a mine.

What is it like ?
Pretty tough I'ld imagine
Things have improved a little over the last 100 years lol