Socceroos World Cup Qualifier

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Black Orchid

Re: Socceroos World Cup Qualifier

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 am

Socceroos beat Vietnam 1-0. That's 10 in a row!

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Socceroos v Oman early in the morning. Go you good things! Good luck!
Up for grabs is the chance to become the first nation ever to register 11-straight wins in a single qualifying campaign and the opportunity for Australia to extend their lead at the top of Group B.
https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/match ... oos-v-oman

Let's make it 11 in a row ... and more! :thumb

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:49 am

Well they did it and set a record! Keep up the good work boys.
Martin Boyle stooped to conquer as Australia racked up a record 11th successive win in their World Cup qualifying campaign, battling to a 3-1 victory over Oman.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/a ... ar-AAPfxbf

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm

Socceroos v Japan tonight and I sure hope they win and keep up this streak they are on. They are the first side ever to win 11 straight FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

Japan has a home ground advantage but tough luck for them. It's a pity ScoMo wouldn't allow them to play in Aus.

Good luck Socceroos let's make it 12! :thumb

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am

Japan win 2-1 due to an own goal.

Meanwhile ...
Socceroos coach Graham Arnold urges NSW government to allow team to play World Cup qualifiers at home in front of fans.

Australian coach Graham Arnold wants the Socceroos back home and playing in front of fans for their vital upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Australia is in second spot in the group, three points clear of Japan, and if things stay as they are they will qualify for next year's World Cup in Qatar.

Arnold said he believed the home support had given Japan a boost, after the Samurai Blue lost two of their first three games in the decisive qualifiers.

"I think the crowd had a big part to do with that [Japan coming home strongly]," Arnold said.

"I have watched Japan play the last three games without a crowd and their energy was nowhere near where it was tonight."

The Socceroos have played 12 matches in various qualifying stages as they try to seal a place in the finals in Qatar.
[Summary]

Eleven of them have been played away from home, due to scheduling amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

There are six rounds of matches left in qualifying, with the top two sides earning a ticket to the World Cup, and the third-placed team going into a play-off.

The next matches are set for next month, and Arnold said he wanted the NSW government to allow the team to play in front of fans in Sydney.

"I am reaching out to the NSW government and really appealing to them to help us on our journey," he said.

He said letting home fans in would "really help us".

"I do believe that [in] the second half [in Saitama] we kicked into gear, we fought the crowd, we did very well, we got back to 1-1.

"And then probably the crowd noise, the energy the crowd gave the [Japan] players in the last 15 minutes, helped get them home.

"So again, I just really appeal to the government to help us on this journey to qualify for a World Cup.

"NSW is open now, please help us – we need our crowd back."
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... ar-AAPr6zn

The government has allowed celebrities, cricketers and tennis players in. For God's sake don't be asses ScoMo and state premiers! Let the Socceroos in to play qualifiers!

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm

I watched the Matildas game tonight -
they beat Brazil 3 to 1 and it was a great game with 20,000 spectators.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 am

Australia’s quest to qualify for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ will continue in Australia next month, with the Socceroos finally and joyfully returning to home soil for an international fixture for the first time after two long years.

The Socceroos will take on Saudi Arabia at Western Sydney Stadium in Parramatta on Thursday, 11 November 2021, some 763 days after the team’s last match in front of home fans against Nepal in Canberra in October 2019. 75 per cent of Western Sydney Stadium in Parramatta will be on sale for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ qualifier (approx. 22,500 seats), which will kick off at 8:05pm local time and be broadcast exclusively live and free across the nation via Australia’s ‘Home of Football’, Network 10.

Football Australia Chief Executive Officer, James Johnson, said the Socceroos’ match against Saudi Arabia on home soil had been made possible following months of discussion between Football Australia and the NSW Government, in collaboration with the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).

https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/were-coming-home

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:12 am

Never really followed the Socceroos.

I used to follow the EPL for a few years when it was on Foxtel,

I think its now on Optus sport which I dont subscribe to.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:19 pm

The first home game for the Socceroos in more than two years tonight and they had to fight to come home. They play Saudi Arabia tonight who are at the top of Group B and unbeaten, so far.

Good luck to the Roos and I hope they win on their own home turf. Playing at home is a huge advantage.

They need this and they deserve this. GO THE SOCCEROOS!

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:25 pm

The Socceroos smashed Vietnam 4/0. :yahoo