Iowa Hiho!

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Mattus

Re: Iowa Hiho!

Post by Mattus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Buddy is the voice of sanity that will never be heard in American Politics*.

Huntsman? It could happen. Stranger things have. The Steven Bradbury effect perhaps, but I think Romney's got it by the neck.

*American Politics TM is brought to you by Coca Cola Corporation Pty Ltd all rights reserved
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

annielaurie

Post by annielaurie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Mattus wrote: Buddy is the voice of sanity that will never be heard in American Politics*.

Huntsman? It could happen. Stranger things have. The Steven Bradbury effect perhaps, but I think Romney's got it by the neck.

*American Politics TM is brought to you by Coca Cola Corporation Pty Ltd all rights reserved
Unfortunately Romney's probably got it. But I would much rather have Huntsman.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:23 am

Mattus wrote:Buddy is the voice of sanity that will never be heard in American Politics*.

Sorriest bunch of GOP candidates evah. The Republican elite must be worried.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 am

2 hours until polls close. Santorum hasn't maintained his momentum from Iowa. Huntsman is definitely on the upward swing but lacks the infrastructure to be competitive. He hasn't even made it on the ballot paper for Arizona.

Romney is holding steady and may even improve. It's not so much a matter of will he win NH, but by how much.
It will be interesting to see.

Of course from here the next stops are in the south. A whole different, and far more important, ballgame down there. The states down there are all red, which means they carry more delegates and can actually elect presidents.

-Heston Blumenthal

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm

It's Romney with 36.2% of the vote. And # 2? None other than Ron Paul with 24.4%. These Paul supporters are an odd but active bunch. Who knows what they can accomplish.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Ron looks as surprised as anyone to be in second place.

But Romney smashed it. Good for him. The party is over though, he's going to be running uphill in the southern states. SC and Florida are next on the menu, if you don't count Nevada, which you probably shouldn't.

-Heston Blumenthal

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:29 pm

It's a terrible result for the republican primary. Romney's 37% is a win, but it still suggests 63% of his own party don't want him. Second and third place are Paul and Huntsman, neither of who have a realistic shot. Paul's brand of batshit crazy goes over well with the state full of unabomber style shacks that is New Hampshire, but won't hold with the rest of America. His rage against the military industrial complex is going to piss off a lot of very important people in the grand ole party. The mainstream candidates are hovering around 10%, with money about to dry up.

So Romney is looking like he will win without igniting the party at all, winning by a lack of desirable alternatives. Not a good outcome.

-Heston Blumenthal

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Hunstman is using his speech to congratulate himself on shaking a lot of hands and staging 170 public events. What a ridiculous thing to say.

-Heston Blumenthal

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Holy Christ on a cracker what a train wreck. Perhaps he's not used to being on TV.

-Heston Blumenthal

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 am

Will be interesting to see Romney in South Carolina. It isn't an accident that the Civil War began there and things haven't changed much since 1861 either.