Iowa Hiho!

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Mattus

Re: Iowa Hiho!

Post by Mattus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 am

mellie wrote: The Obama lable is worn, he's lost his gloss, the politicking is what's killed the meme --even the blacks want to go back, straight back to the polls to get rid of the clown.
It's the chance that the blacks won't go to back to the voting booth, rather than any real chance that they could vote for the rich white republican candidate, that has Obama sweating.

Voting isn't compulsory in the big bad. In fact it's damn inconvenient with massive queues, id checks and poll taxes discouraging many would be voters to not. They will need a reason to vote, and I agree with you, to tell their grand children that they voted in the first black president will not be it.
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:26 pm

The Evangelicals and "socially Conservative" elite have formally backed Santorum. Bit late in the game for that kind of endorsement.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:47 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:The Evangelicals and "socially Conservative" elite have formally backed Santorum. Bit late in the game for that kind of endorsement.
I think that it's not a game changer. Romney is strong while the field of candidates is wide, but won't stay as strong in a 1 to 1 race, as he just fails to ignite the base. Evangelical unity behind Santorum with still a week before the first southern primary is effectively the end of Cowboy Chucklehead's campaign (expect an announcement any day now) and probably spells the end of Gingrich too, though he probably has enough cash to last until Super Tuesday. Huntsman's already dead, we all know that. He bet everything on NH and came in third.

But that only narrows the field down to 3, as Paul will remain in the race for some time yet keeping pace with Santorum. If the evangelicals had endorsed Paul, Santorum would be out and it would be a 2 way race, which Romney would lose. Paul would be the RNC candidate.

Rather than pull down Romney, as I'm sure was the intention of the evangelicals, this might just play in Romney's favour.

-Heston Blumenthal

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:26 am

Right, not a game changer. A bunch of fat, soft Evangelicals and Social Conservatives sitting around a ranch will have no effect at all on those who are doing the work on the campaign trail.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:04 am

I mean to say it may not affect the result.

-Heston Blumenthal

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:27 am

Mattus wrote:I mean to say it may not affect the result.
That too.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:44 am

Huntsman has cashed in his ticket to ride and given fellow Mormon Mitt Romney the change, as the Massachusetts Moderate steps up to a 23 point lead in some polls.

Gingrich has called off his attack hounds over Bain capital but the damage has been done. Newt, who only 2 weeks ago was enjoying a 16 point advantage in South Carolina polls is now lagging 8 percentage points behind. Most of that is probably a result of Romney's success in the other 2 primaries, but at least some is due to the apparent attack on capital systems that Gingrich and his super PAC undertook. An absurd strategy.

Meanwhile, the only candidate who is showing continual growth instead of the cyclic up and down seen in others, is Ron Paul. But he would need to double his support again in order to reach contention.

-Heston Blumenthal

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:01 pm

In true Southern style, Gingrich and Santorum were packing some heat at the SC debate today. Paul was just packing crazy. Romney was packing the brown trousers, he was. It will be interesting to see what effect this has 1 week out from SC primary. Romney's definitely going to lose ground though. He looked like a fuckin deer in headlights.

Here you can see at 0:24 Romney suddenly realises there's no way he can answer the question and not lose 5% of his margin. In the end, after attempting to bullshit his way through, he decided to cut away the African American vote (who the fuck needs that shit anyway, right?) by declaring that white collar criminals should be allowed vote in elections, but those who have previously served time for a violent offence should be disenfranchised. Oops? Probably not. Those guys are going to vote for Obama anyway, right?

With the wind of the evangelical angel wings at his back and this Gotchya moment for his latest round of ads, Santorum will definately be surging in the polls. Look out, motherfuckers.

Gingrich bringing it home. Gangsta! Werd. Get a job, lazy poor people.

Here's Ron Paul suggesting zero percent income tax. Yeah. Dude's off his fuckin rocker. Whatever, gramps, it's not the olden days any more.

-Heston Blumenthal

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Whatever! Hasn't Ron Paul been a contender for the last 15 years? Silly Old Bugger.

The US American Election really is a Full Blown Circus, thankfully we only get clowns here, minus the enormous amount of money involved in the USA Elections and the length of time it takes before people can cast their vote. Ridiculous. :tweed

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Whatever! Hasn't Ron Paul been a contender for the last 15 years? Silly Old Bugger.

The US American Election really is a Full Blown Circus, thankfully we only get clowns here, minus the enormous amount of money involved in the USA Elections and the length of time it takes before people can cast their vote. Ridiculous. :tweed

And all that time and expense only to have comr up with the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize winner U.S. President Barack Obama "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people."

:shock: How so?

Just like I wouldn't exactly call American soldiers urinating on Afghan corpses "golden" much less "Nobel" or diplomatic, the same way I wouldn't say their dealings with Libya were exactly noble either. The to contrary.

And what about their long-distance diplomacy pursuits, and their wanting to use peaceful go-lucky-Australia as a bunker when taking on China, Pakistan, India, perhaps even Iran, Russia and everyone else who don't take kindly to US 'diplomacy?