Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Texan

Re: The Olympics

Post by Texan » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:27 am

Aussie wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:47 pm
Texan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:24 pm
Viewership has been down for years, they don't make the money they used to, and trannies are killing women's sports.
Not in my Household.

Link?
https://news.gallup.com/poll/226823/few ... -past.aspx

Another thing that has irked me is all of the human interest background stories about the athletes. We could watch twice as many events if they would cut those out.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:30 am

Texan wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:27 am
Aussie wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:47 pm
Texan wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:24 pm
Viewership has been down for years, they don't make the money they used to, and trannies are killing women's sports.
Not in my Household.

Link?
https://news.gallup.com/poll/226823/few ... -past.aspx

Another thing that has irked me is all of the human interest background stories about the athletes. We could watch twice as many events if they would cut those out.
Yes, the 'coverage' is all about the reporters.
You can watch 30 minutes of olympics and see 15 seconds of the last lap of a 1500 m race.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:47 am

This seems to be a trend in many sports...
I get sick of watching golfers being interviewed as they walk down the fairway about how they feel or how they are playing...in the US coverage it seems to be extremely important to commentators to tell everyone which college a golfer went to and the name of his pet dog.
We are often shown coverage of golfers walking from the tee to their ball. Not interested
in that. I feel its because they only have maybe one or two cameras out on the course
at one or two holes.
Other sports are the same...
Show the sport being played not the life history of every player....
Although I do feel overall sport on television apart from our favourites has seen
its day as an entertainment vessel...
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 am

billy the kid wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:47 am
This seems to be a trend in many sports...
I get sick of watching golfers being interviewed as they walk down the fairway about how they feel or how they are playing...in the US coverage it seems to be extremely important to commentators to tell everyone which college a golfer went to and the name of his pet dog.
We are often shown coverage of golfers walking from the tee to their ball. Not interested
in that. I feel its because they only have maybe one or two cameras out on the course
at one or two holes.
Other sports are the same...
Show the sport being played not the life history of every player....
Although I do feel overall sport on television apart from our favourites has seen its day as an entertainment vessel...
' ..............sport on television has seen its day as an entertainment vessel. .......

yes.

J o h n S m i t h

Post by J o h n S m i t h » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:18 am

viewership was bound to go down

In the old days you never saw half of the sports played in the Olympics except for during the Olympics and the odd xmas day special . How often does TV air gymnastics, table tennis, athletics or weightlifting etc. I know in Australia it is very rare. The Olympics used to allow us to watch these rarely seen sports for a brief period of time, every 4 years. The huge viewership was just as much about satisfying peoples curiosity into these sports most people have little idea about, as it was the actual competition side of things

These days that isn't an issue. You can find just about every gymnastics meet, weightlifting comp or whatever sport or competition you want to see, online, whenever you want to see it. The problem for the Olympics is further exacerbated by all the dedicated sporting channels now available on subscription services. The need for a steady stream of content means what used to be rarely seen sports are now much more readily available.

The Olympics are becoming obsolete

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:15 pm

J o h n S m i t h wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:18 am
viewership was bound to go down

In the old days you never saw half of the sports played in the Olympics except for during the Olympics and the odd xmas day special . How often does TV air gymnastics, table tennis, athletics or weightlifting etc. I know in Australia it is very rare. The Olympics used to allow us to watch these rarely seen sports for a brief period of time, every 4 years. The huge viewership was just as much about satisfying peoples curiosity into these sports most people have little idea about, as it was the actual competition side of things

These days that isn't an issue. You can find just about every gymnastics meet, weightlifting comp or whatever sport or competition you want to see, online, whenever you want to see it. The problem for the Olympics is further exacerbated by all the dedicated sporting channels now available on subscription services. The need for a steady stream of content means what used to be rarely seen sports are now much more readily available.

The Olympics are becoming obsolete
yes, they have much more competition.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm

hahahhaha.

Brisbane is the ONLY city bidding for the olympics

it is a 1 horse race

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:26 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm
hahahhaha.

it is a 1 horse race
Then Palaszczuk should be asking and getting huge concession and financial assistance from the IOC.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:33 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:20 pm
hahahhaha.

it is a 1 horse race
WE have bought a lemon, a white elephant

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 pm

We won a one horse race.
The media is all happy, fireworks burn up our money and the environment.

Watch the PR of the govt run riot, watch our money be wasted