Legal Loophole Allows Knives at School

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Black Orchid

Legal Loophole Allows Knives at School

Post by Black Orchid » Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 pm

Legal loophole which allows NSW students to take knives to school shocks Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

The NSW Premier says no student should be allowed to take a weapon to school, despite a law that allows them to do so, following a school stabbing in Sydney's north west.

A 14-year-old boy is facing serious charges after allegedly stabbing a 16-year-old boy with a "religious knife" at Glenwood High School on May 6.

Mobile phone footage shows the year 11 student holding his stomach as friends help him through the playground after the attack.

He was hospitalised and is now recovering at home with his family.

Principal Sonja Anderson moved to reassure parents their children were safe despite dozens of students witnessing the attack during their lunch break.

"Schools in NSW are among the safest places in the community, and Glenwood High School is one of those schools," she said.

The letter makes reference to the Summary Offences Act, in which a person is allowed to carry a knife in public, provided he or she has a "reasonable excuse".

"The possession of a knife for genuine religious reasons is specified as a reasonable excuse under the act," Ms Anderson said.
More at the link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/ ... /100143750

Carrying a knife to school for religious reasons? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I wonder which religion this law was made for? :roll:

Bobby

Re: Legal Loophole Allows Knives at School

Post by Bobby » Tue May 18, 2021 7:40 am

Hang the bastard.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue May 18, 2021 8:41 am

Great and peaceful family he must come from.

Texan

Post by Texan » Tue May 18, 2021 9:04 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 pm
Legal loophole which allows NSW students to take knives to school shocks Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

The NSW Premier says no student should be allowed to take a weapon to school, despite a law that allows them to do so, following a school stabbing in Sydney's north west.

A 14-year-old boy is facing serious charges after allegedly stabbing a 16-year-old boy with a "religious knife" at Glenwood High School on May 6.

Mobile phone footage shows the year 11 student holding his stomach as friends help him through the playground after the attack.

He was hospitalised and is now recovering at home with his family.

Principal Sonja Anderson moved to reassure parents their children were safe despite dozens of students witnessing the attack during their lunch break.

"Schools in NSW are among the safest places in the community, and Glenwood High School is one of those schools," she said.

The letter makes reference to the Summary Offences Act, in which a person is allowed to carry a knife in public, provided he or she has a "reasonable excuse".

"The possession of a knife for genuine religious reasons is specified as a reasonable excuse under the act," Ms Anderson said.
More at the link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/ ... /100143750

Carrying a knife to school for religious reasons? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I wonder which religion this law was made for? :roll:
I think sihks carry a knife and maybe some muslims. Sihks call their's a Kirpan.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue May 18, 2021 9:26 am

I think I heard that the boy was a Sikh.