Tax on meat

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Nom De Plume

Tax on meat

Post by Nom De Plume » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:38 pm

The boss of the world’s largest plant-based meat company has backed a tax on meat to encourage a shift away from animal products.

Ethan Brown, founder of Beyond Meat, told the BBC that taxing meat consumption could encourage emerging markets to invest in plant-based protein. Some of these markets are increasing meat consumption rapidly as more people move out of relative poverty and into a growing middle class.

Mr Brown pointed to figures showing that shoppers are already eating more plant-based food.
“If you look at shopper data that we have, 93 per cent of the people that are putting the Beyond burger in their cart are also putting animal protein in,” he said.

“That says we’re getting more and more penetration into the broadest swath of the market, which is people who are consuming animal protein, but again, are hearing this information about their health or maybe hearing about climate, or maybe uncomfortable with factory farming, they’re deciding to cut down on their consumption of animal-based products.”

Beyond Meat is among companies seeking to drive a move towards a more sustainable diet.

Price is seen as one of the biggest obstacles to that shift, because plant-based meat substitutes – which use protein from vegetables such as peas – are more expensive than the real thing.

A tax would make animal products more expensive, benefitting Beyond Meat among others.

Mr Brown also pointed to a deal Beyond Meat signed in February with McDonalds and Yum! Brands, the parent company of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

“As we scale, we’ll begin to be able to underprice animal protein – if you look at our facilities, and you look at the facilities of say, some of our plant or animal-based competitors, right, we’re still a very small company [but] that’s going to change.

“One of the reasons I was so focused on these deals with McDonald’s and with Yum is because I believe that’s the route to [bringing] costs down and to scaling and to being able to make these products accessible to every consumer that wants them.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 94990.html
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Nom De Plume

Re: Tax on meat

Post by Nom De Plume » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Putting a tax on meat, would have the effect of making the 'poor man's meat'... mince too expensive for the poor!
Fake mince would not be an option... too expensive.
Beyond meat products are still very much a choice of the affluent.
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:40 pm

Nom De Plume wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:32 pm
Putting a tax on meat, would have the effect of making the 'poor man's meat'... mince too expensive for the poor!
Fake mince would not be an option... too expensive.
Beyond meat products are still very much a choice of the affluent.
Meat is already too expensive.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:03 pm

Bill Gates has been pushing synthetic beef but I doubt it will become a staple in his diet.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:03 pm
Bill Gates has been pushing synthetic beef but I doubt it will become a staple in his diet.
I have tried out many brands of plant based sausages that look like meat sausages.
They tasted very nice but some were 3 times the price of meat sausages.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:30 pm

Fuck that. I eat loads of pulses, veges but I also LOVE beef. Aussie grown, grass fed high quality beef.

No way on earth I'm eating that shit.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:31 pm

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Gordon wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:30 pm
Fuck that. I eat loads of pulses, veges but I also LOVE beef. Aussie grown, grass fed high quality beef.

No way on earth I'm eating that shit.
1.jpg

I had some nice vegetarian sausages and they didn't look awful like those ones.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:56 pm

I've noticed that Woolworths is absolutely full of synthetic beef and chicken lately.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:07 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:56 pm
I've noticed that Woolworths is absolutely full of synthetic beef and chicken lately.

Have you tried the vegetarian sausages?
I have yet to find any bad ones -
they were all delicious.