Religious knives known as kirpans to be allowed in NSW schools

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Black Orchid

Religious knives known as kirpans to be allowed in NSW schools

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:45 pm

Religious knives known as kirpans to be allowed in NSW schools after ban reversed.

Students in NSW will no longer be banned from bringing knives to schools on religious grounds, after a snap decision by the Department of Education was reversed.

The ban was made after a 16-year-old was stabbed in the back and stomach in Sydney's north west by a miniature religious knife after a fight broke out three months ago.

A 14-year-old boy continues to face serious charges after he stabbed the 16-year-old boy with a kirpan, a Sikh religious knife, at Glenwood High School in May.

The kirpan is a ceremonial dagger baptised Sikhs carry to symbolise their duty to stand up against injustice.

The case remains before the courts.

The NSW Gurdwara Working Group, made up of representatives from Sydney Sikh temples, said the decision to reverse the ban was not a "win" for the religious group, but it was thankful for the compromise.

"A lot of work and consultation processes has been done to reach a consensus to formulate the new policy," a spokesperson for the group said.

"It is important for Sikh students to be able to exercise their faith and the new guidelines allow this with the safety of all students put first."

The group confirmed that ongoing discussions were had with the Department of Education following the ban on the knives.

Education Minister Sarah Mitchell decided to reverse the ban after making creating new guidelines around their use.

"The safety of students is my highest priority and our policy will always prohibit weapons at school," Ms Mitchell said.

"We have worked closely with community representatives, including from the Australian Sikh Association and the NSW Gurdwara Group, as well as Multicultural NSW and other government agencies, to develop these new guidelines."

The new guidelines mean:

The kirpan being carried must be no bigger than 8.5 centimetres, with no sharp edges or points
It must be worn under clothing
It must be removed during sports

Any safety concerns must be discussed with the student and their parents or carers.

Full story at the link ... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-13/ ... /100374484

Ummm NO! What a stupid decision. What's wrong with these people? Kids, but only Sikh kids, are allowed to carry knives to school so long as they are concealed.

This after one of them stabbed a 14 year old classmate just a few months ago. :b

Aussie

Re: Religious knives known as kirpans to be allowed in NSW schools

Post by Aussie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Given they must have no sharp edge and no sharp point.......they are as less dangerous than a lead pencil.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Given one boy has already been stabbed front and back your 'point' is moot.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:23 pm
Did that occur before or after the new protocol? Evidence?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:06 pm

Aussie wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:04 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
What's wrong with you? Try reading the article! Maybe that will help you? Then again ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:06 pm
Aussie wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:04 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
What's wrong with you? Try reading the article! Maybe that will help you? Then again ... :roll: :roll: :roll:
I reckon I have read it correctly. There was an incident THREE MONTHS ago which initially brought on the ban. Now...there is a new protocol...knife must be have no sharp edge or sharp point. There is nothing in the article about a front or back or otherwise stabbing SINCE the new protocol.

Am I right?
Last edited by Aussie on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:15 pm

:roll:

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:15 pm
:roll:
That is silly. Was there a front and back (or or other) stabbing after the new 'no sharp' protocol?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 pm

I will respond to you once more then I am going to put you on ignore! Because you are just a trolling PITA!

A 14 year old kid got stabbed at school in the back and in the stomach (that's what front and back means) by a Sikh kid with a 'blunt' Kirpan. Knives at school got banned. Now they have lifted the ban and are allowing Sikh kids to carry these Kirpans at school so long as they are concealed.

I don't happen to agree with ANY hormonal teenage kids being allowed to carry weapons at school whether they are blunt or otherwise. If you disagree with me and think it's a good idea just say so instead of following my every post and asking stupid questions. If you can read refrain from comment.

NO-ONE said the stabbing happened after the ban was lifted as it was only lifted a few hours ago.

Didn't you boast to everyone that you had a "ballistic IQ"? I'd love to know where you hide it. On second thoughts no I would not. :roll:

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:42 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 pm
I will respond to you once more then I am going to put you on ignore! Because you are just a trolling PITA!

A 14 year old kid got stabbed at school in the back and in the stomach (that's what front and back means) by a Sikh kid with a 'blunt' Kirpan. Knives at school got banned. Now they have lifted the ban and are allowing Sikh kids to carry these Kirpans at school so long as they are concealed.

I don't happen to agree with ANY hormonal teenage kids being allowed to carry weapons at school whether they are blunt or otherwise. If you disagree with me and think it's a good idea just say so instead of following my every post and asking stupid questions. If you can read refrain from comment.

NO-ONE said the stabbing happened after the ban was lifted as it was only lifted a few hours ago.

Didn't you boast to everyone that you had a "ballistic IQ"? I'd love to know where you hide it. On second thoughts no I would not. :roll:
Can't see anything about 'blunt' in the OP concerning the stabbing. You put blunt in quotes....yet.....this is what was actually in the article. Nothing about a 'blunt' knife used in that stabbing. Just 'miniature.'
The ban was made after a 16-year-old was stabbed in the back and stomach in Sydney's north west by a miniature religious knife after a fight broke out three months ago.

A 14-year-old boy continues to face serious charges after he stabbed the 16-year-old boy with a kirpan, a Sikh religious knife, at Glenwood High School in May.

The kirpan is a ceremonial dagger baptised Sikhs carry to symbolise their duty to stand up against injustice.