Trivia

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
mantra.

Trivia

Post by mantra. » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:41 am

Maybe this isn't trivial to a gay person - but if you were gay, should you be making an issue of ads that "infer" something? There are so many sexist and pathetic ads around - most of us don't think twice about them. Andrew James (gay) lodged an official complaint with the Human Rights Commission and then found out that the commission had discriminated against him by not allowing him to be discriminated against. His complaint was this - "Gay men who do choose to have sex in a tent should not have to be afraid of getting caught by their friends".

This is probably true - but so what.
A GAY activist says his human rights have been violated by the human rights watchdog itself - because it refused to ban a "homophobic" Telstra ad about two men in a tent.

Glebe-based advocate Andrew James has now lodged an official complaint, prompting a call from Human Rights Commissioner Graeme Innes for people to lighten up.

In the ad, two men on a camping trip become suspicious when their two mates disappear into a tent. It later emerges they are simply watching cricket on the same mobile phone.

"Gay men who do choose to have sex in a tent should not have to be afraid of getting caught by their friends," Mr James' writes on his website, engayment.org.

He complained to the Australian Human Rights Commission about the ad but found there was no official category because it did not occur in the workplace.

Instead, he complained under the category "My human rights have been breached by a federal government agency" . . . namely the commission itself. In his formal complaint, he wrote: "You're the one place that should stand up for my rights and my equality, and your own website is discriminatory in nature."

AHRC complaint handling director Karen Toohey said there was no legal basis to act against the ad.

Mr Innes, meanwhile, suggested people needed to have a sense of humour about such things.

"It's important not to vilify or treat people differently on the basis of their sexual orientation," he said. "However, that's got to be taken in the context of the Australian sense of humour and sense of fun."

freediver

Re: Trivia

Post by freediver » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:55 pm

I don't see how it would be insulting to gay people. The guy is complaining that there wasn't a suitable box to tick for his complaint, but did not demonstrate the need for one.