The New Year--2009

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Auzgurl

The New Year--2009

Post by Auzgurl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:14 pm

I hope everyone takes care tonight .. on the roads if your travelling to or from anywhere.
If your in Sydney..well I would have loved to be there to see the fireworks..as it stands will light a sparkler and go to bed at 12.01.

Jovial Monk

Re: The New Year--2009

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 am

I managed to see the New Year in and celebrate it with champers.

Didn't see any fireworks, usually I see the new year in at Glenelg (travelling by tram & bus) and see the fireworks there.

cynik

Post by cynik » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 am

54 minutes to go here in Switzerland. It is snowing hard, and the kids are letting of so many fire crackers that it sounds like the revolution has started.

I am dying of the flu, and planning to walk out into the snow to buy some cigarettes.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:57 am

Hope you make it back OK.

Smoking? not much else to do in Swissland?

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Happy new Year all. We had a very successful new year's day. We went to the Monet and Impressionism exhibition, and then collected my daughter's internet boyfriend from the airport. I loved the paintings in the exhibition and the boyfriend seems okay.

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Rainbow Moonlight wrote:Happy new Year all. We had a very successful new year's day. We went to the Monet and Impressionism exhibition, and then collected my daughter's internet boyfriend from the airport. I loved the paintings in the exhibition and the boyfriend seems okay.
how lucky you are Rainbow..we have no such touches of culture out this way that dont revolve around beer,fishing, bush bashing in a ute,shooting etc. I am a city girl at heart I know this by the way I yearn for such things.

Anyway..we to had a nice quite New Year (unlike my hectic Christmas) which was spent with my kids and a couple of neighbors watching tv and drinking tea on the porch. Not a sparkler in sight.
Last edited by Auzgurl on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Not a New Years resolution in sight either..of my previous kind anyway.

All I signed up for was to wear more feminine clothing ie : dresses. I am wearing right this minute a cotton floral summer dress..I love my simple doeable, "cant let myself down" resolution.

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:23 pm

All I signed up for was to wear more feminine clothing ie : dresses. I am wearing right this minute a cotton floral summer dress..I love my simple doeable, "cant let myself down" resolution
That comment made me laugh Auzgurl, although I think it's a lovely positive resolution. It seems the further we live away from the city, the less feminine our clothing becomes. If it makes you feel good - great. I haven't bothered to make a resolution this year - I never stick to the one I promise myself to do every year.
We had a very successful new year's day. We went to the Monet and Impressionism exhibition, and then collected my daughter's internet boyfriend from the airport. I loved the paintings in the exhibition and the boyfriend seems okay.
Sounds like a great day Rainbow. I would be a bit wary if my daughter invited one of her net boyfriends to visit, although I suppose it's no more risky than meeting them at a club, concert or party, which at times my daughter is inclined to do.

cynik

Post by cynik » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 am

An "internet boyfriend"?

Hmm. Apparently the germans are top of the list when it comes to actually meeting people they know online in real life. Chinese and Americans are way down the list. So are aussies.

I find that fascinating. After all, as Mantra says, why not meet people online? Is it any different to the pub?

Especially if you don't go to the pub. Personally, I am skeptical of online people. I wonder how you are supposed to be comfortable with them, in real life. My theory with the germans is that they are so anal and rude in person that the only way they can break the ice and make friends is if they do it online. Therefore the internet is wonderful for them.

Then there is the fact that I don't make friends in real life, so it is not surprising that I don't want to make more online. It isn't that I don't like friends, or can't make new friendships. I'm just conservative. I like the one's I have, and don't have time for any more.lest I neglect the ones I already have.

But for young folks, sure. I guess they have to make a bunch of friends from somewhere. But on the internet?

When i was young and making friends, of the opposite sex, I was pretty keen on bouncibility as a virtue. The key word was "sex". And I was generous, as you can see with my friendship towards Paris Hilton. I think all girls deserve a fair chance to improve their personality, so I wouldn't judge that criteria so hard, you know? Anyway, if it was good enough for me to spend my time trying to appeal to the female need for conversation, I don't see why females ought be excused from satisfying the younger man's desire for a visual angel.

I can't tell you guys how much time I wasted talking to women, between the ages of 20 and 30.

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:25 am

But for young folks, sure. I guess they have to make a bunch of friends from somewhere. But on the internet?
One of the best things about being young is the excitement and anticipation of meeting the perfect person. It's the exploration of new venues, faces, personalities and the experiences resulting from the instinct that attracts you to the various mating calls of the opposite sex. How could a cyber romance replace face to face confrontation with a live person?

I am glad that in my youth we had no choice, but to physically go out and seek prospective partners. If you had to experience joy or disappointment, at least you could get it over and done with quickly - not communicate desperately over the net for months and then have someone land on your doorstep and realise he/she is not the person you expected.

For all the dependance we now have on technology, it has detracted from a certain quality of life and dehumanised us to an extent.