Sunday salon

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Jovial Monk

Sunday salon

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm

This is an idea I lifted from Larvatus Prodeo, to discuss any interesting & non-political that you did on Sunday.

I collected the mater & went for a bit of a drive in the Adelaide Hills. We stopped in Woodside for a latte and a browse of some of the antique shops. I did spot a fantastic glass vase: $2500 so that is still in the shop! Did buy a vase and some matchbox cars:

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/tom/misc/buys4-1-08.jpg

The cars will go into my study:

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/tom/misc/study1.jpg
http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/tom/misc/study2.jpg

Hebe

Re: Sunday salon

Post by Hebe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 pm

That's a beautiful vase. I can't match it. I just did a bit of investigative gardening (and found a lot of old black plastic :evil: ), watched the cricket and caught up with the neighbours.

While Mr H took advantage of the one decent day we've had in weeks to get onto his little yacht only to find the motor won't start.

I told him he needs to turn it over more than once every 8 months.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Interesting collection Monk - it reminds me of something - can't think what. I like the vase - I'm always picking up bits of older pottery, which tends to pile up on my back verandah. Often they end up as plant pots or animal food containers, but with a vase like that - I would probably hand paint the motives and fill it with flowers from the garden. You can never have too many vases.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:17 pm

heh, I was born in Holland, filling up every inch of space with bric a brac, objects de art, plants/flowers comes naturally :)

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:38 pm

heh, I was born in Holland, filling up every inch of space with bric a brac, objects de art, plants/flowers comes naturally
Aha - I've known some Dutchmen in my lifetime. Yes, come to think of it they did like lots of bric a brac. The toy cars must be a throwback to your childhood. One of the people I knew still held onto his childhood teddy bear and refused to get rid of it - for sentimental reasons only of course.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:43 pm

Nope, never had any matchbox cars in my childhood. Mebbe that is why I collect (sort off) them now? Hmmm

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Matchbox cars are collectibles now aren't they. I used to throw them out randomly without realising the significance - they were just little things lying around to hurt your feet on. I've assumed you are a man Monk, if not my apologies. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes. When I used to write into the Cracker forums - for the first few months everyone thought I was a man.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:28 pm

yeah, I am not of the female pursuasion.

Don't worry Mantra, I don't take your posts in any way as offensive: to the contrary, you should stand up for yourself more occasionally.