QR Code Or Sign In?

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

QR Code Or Sign In?

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:41 pm

I saw this question asked elsewhere. I downloaded an app last year but then I got bombarded with SMS messages beginning with "Hello friend." Within 48 hours I deleted it and now I just insist on signing in either with pen and paper or having the poor sucker on guard duty type it into his phone.

I was thinking about downloading it again but the more I read about it the more I think it might be another bad idea.

Anyone else having privacy problems with these apps?

sprintcyclist

Re: QR Code Or Sign In?

Post by sprintcyclist » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Mine is ok.
Perhaps it was the wrong app, but I doubt that.
Or coincidental, seems unlikely too
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 pm

I don't know what App it was. I thought it was the Service NSW one but maybe not. It was last year and the lady guarding the gym took my phone and took a pic of the code then asked me for my details and typed them in.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:10 am

No issues with QR here Black Orchid.

Easy procedure with no hassles.

Interesting to know that others are having these issues. Makes you wonder about who has access to our info.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 am

OMG!

https://www.matthews.com.au/blog/qr-co ... ed-to-know

There are three common QR code scams:

Clickjacking - The easiest QR code scam, clickjacking is where people get paid to lure others into clicking on a certain link. This is most commonly found in tourist destinations where people expect to scan a code to get interesting information about the landmark, but the scam QR code takes them to a dodgy site and the clickjacking rep gets paid.

Small advance payment scam – For some services, you expect to make an advance payment before use it, such as to rent a shared bike. To go through the payment process, you simply scan the QR code on the bike. But the real QR codes can be replaced by scammers who receive the payments.

Phishing – Phishing links can be disguised as QR codes easily. Phishers place QR codes where it makes sense for the user, such as for COVID-19 check-ins or menus on restaurant tables.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:27 am

lisa jones wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 am
OMG!

https://www.matthews.com.au/blog/qr-co ... ed-to-know

There are three common QR code scams:

Clickjacking - The easiest QR code scam, clickjacking is where people get paid to lure others into clicking on a certain link. This is most commonly found in tourist destinations where people expect to scan a code to get interesting information about the landmark, but the scam QR code takes them to a dodgy site and the clickjacking rep gets paid.

Small advance payment scam – For some services, you expect to make an advance payment before use it, such as to rent a shared bike. To go through the payment process, you simply scan the QR code on the bike. But the real QR codes can be replaced by scammers who receive the payments.

Phishing – Phishing links can be disguised as QR codes easily. Phishers place QR codes where it makes sense for the user, such as for COVID-19 check-ins or menus on restaurant tables.

Oh WOW.
So it may have been a 'fake' QR code somewhere?
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:49 pm

I use the QR code in restaurants menus ..etc. I never use them to go to a site that requires me to provide credentials.

So if you scan a QR code, then asked to login, don't. Just like, don't click on links.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.