Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:36 am

BigP wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:35 am
Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:48 am
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results ... just saying!

Its official then , Im insane :mrgreen:
Well maybe, but I didn't have you in mind at the time :lol:

This glitch is happening again!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 506: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 1836: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3268)

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Optus has a new service to help people who can't speak English call government departments, make hairdressing appointments etc. It's going to be available in 10 languages. Why not just make them learn English?

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:31 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:22 pm
Optus has a new service to help people who can't speak English call government departments, make hairdressing appointments etc. It's going to be available in 10 languages. Why not just make them learn English?
Jayzuz...and until they can do that....what?

You really are a bigot, one of the worst I have encountered.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Stop following me around with your idiot name calling. It's not bigoted to expect people who want to live in your country to learn the language. It's called assimilation.

If I chose to live in another country where English was not spoken I'd learn the language as most normal people would and do.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:52 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:58 pm
Stop following me around with your idiot name calling. It's not bigoted to expect people who want to live in your country to learn the language. It's called assimilation.

If I chose to live in another country where English was not spoken I'd learn the language as most normal people would and do.
If you do not want to be called a bigot, stop posting like one.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am

Aussie wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:31 pm
Black Orchid wrote:

2nd worst. They can go back to their home country and learn English before coming over and expecting me to cater to them. They come for their benefit and not at my expense. If you're talking about refugees, the government can give them a crash course in English if they are to assimilate. Otherwise, it's up to them to assimilate. If they can convince me that their language is better, I'll learn it. I know I'm in a different country, but the idea is the same.

Someone asked me why I didn't speak Spanish once when I was working in El Paso. It took all I had to not go off on him about how this is America and the rest of the country speaks English. He was a customer, so I just told him I never had the need to learn. I have to temper my speech when I represent the company. And for the record, I'm not a bigot, I'm a nationalist.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 am

Texan wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:44 am
Aussie wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

2nd worst. They can go back to their home country and learn English before coming over and expecting me to cater to them. They come for their benefit and not at my expense. If you're talking about refugees, the government can give them a crash course in English if they are to assimilate. Otherwise, it's up to them to assimilate. If they can convince me that their language is better, I'll learn it. I know I'm in a different country, but the idea is the same.

Someone asked me why I didn't speak Spanish once when I was working in El Paso. It took all I had to not go off on him about how this is America and the rest of the country speaks English. He was a customer, so I just told him I never had the need to learn. I have to temper my speech when I represent the company. And for the record, I'm not a bigot, I'm a nationalist.
Indeed, they should attend classes and the War their Country is in (or whatever circumstance they are in which gives them refugee qualifications) will pause, just for them to learn English.

What were you referring to when you posted '2nd worst?'

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am

Aussie wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 am
Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

Indeed, they should attend classes and the War their Country is in (or whatever circumstance they are in which gives them refugee qualifications) will pause, just for them to learn English.

I mean that if your government wants to allow refugees, then they should take the responsibility to teach them the local language. Do it in your country if need be, but don't expect the population to have to cater to them in their foreign languages.

By "2nd worst", I'm referring to myself. I can be a very understanding and generous person, but I don't take well to people coming into my home and making demands of me. I have no patience for it and I'll gladly show them the door. If you cater to them in their language, you'll always cater to them in their language and they won't get along with the natives (you).

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:52 am

Aussie wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

You did not answer that.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Texan wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am
Aussie wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 am
Texan wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

I mean that if your government wants to allow refugees, then they should take the responsibility to teach them the local language. Do it in your country if need be, but don't expect the population to have to cater to them in their foreign languages.

By "2nd worst", I'm referring to myself. I can be a very understanding and generous person, but I don't take well to people coming into my home and making demands of me. I have no patience for it and I'll gladly show them the door. If you cater to them in their language, you'll always cater to them in their language and they won't get along with the natives (you).
Waiting to hear back from my daughter who teaches refugees English. She'll know if Govt pays.