I got an email from the "FBI"

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Neferti

Re: I got an email from the "FBI"

Post by Neferti » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:33 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:17 pm
I got a text from the Police the other day to be on the lookout for a missing man. It contained a link that I did not click because I thought it was a scam.

I found out today that it's legit though. I've never had anything like that before.
How did the Police get your mobile phone number? :shock:

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:33 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
I got a text from the Police the other day to be on the lookout for a missing man. It contained a link that I did not click because I thought it was a scam.

I found out today that it's legit though. I've never had anything like that before.
I don't know and that's why I assumed it was a scam but I found out today that neighbours got the same message. The cops obviously know where everyone lives and have their numbers on file if they can send out group texts to all the residents of various areas.

I'm not sure I like that.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:39 pm
Neferti~ wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

I don't know and that's why I assumed it was a scam but I found out today that neighbours got the same message. The cops obviously know where everyone lives and have their numbers on file if they can send out group texts to all the residents of various areas.

Very strange!
I had enough problem with scam calls on my landline, despite it being a silent number. I have not given my mobile phone number to anybody other than close friends and family. I do NOT want to be on some List and get scam calls on that number.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Black Orchid wrote:

Who did you find it out from......the Cops directly?

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 pm

MYOB

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:21 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Neferti~ wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

I would complain - that's an invasion of privacy.
Your phone number is private - not to be given out to the cops.
Who gave out your personal information?

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Bobby wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:21 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Neferti~ wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

There is no evidence anyone did.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Aussie wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Bobby wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:21 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Neferti~ wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

There is no evidence anyone did.
BO should find out.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Yes...and if it turns out it was the Cops who gave out her number...then she would have a very legitimate complaint. However, to imply a slur on the Cops with zero evidence is naughty.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:29 pm

I presume this is what BO's text message was all about! This article was back in March 2021.
NSW police to send text alerts to people near where a missing person was last seen

New South Wales police will soon be able to send texts to people in the vicinity of where a missing person was last seen.

It’s hoped the SMS geo-targeting alert system will help police quickly find high-risk missing persons.

A text message would be sent to all mobile devices in a defined area with a brief description of the missing person and details of how to report a sighting.

It’s the same technology used by Australia’s states and territories to send alerts during emergency situations, such as floods or bushfires.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -last-seen