Beef up to $70 per kilo

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Bobby

Beef up to $70 per kilo

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:58 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021- ... /100311098

Key cattle price indicator breaks $10 per kilo barrier, yet beef prices look set to 'explode' further
ABC Rural
/ By David Claughton and Nathan Morris
Posted 2h ago

At his shop, a piece of rib eye will set you back at least $70/kg and
beef sausages and mince are over $15/kg.

Beef prices have "exploded", according to one butcher, as the Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) breaks through the $10 per kilogram barrier, up a massive 150 per cent in just two years.
Key points:

The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator breaks $10/kg barrier
Record sale yard prices are expected to flow through to retail
Sellers are happy but processors are losing money

The record high price of cattle in saleyards is pushing up the price of beef in shops, with prime cuts selling for $70/kg while even mince is getting dearer.

Retailers say it is unsustainable, but prices are not likely to change for a few years until the national herd grows.
Toowoomba butcher Ted Ellison standing in his shop with meat all around
Toowoomba butcher Ted Ellison has noticed his customers picking cheaper cuts as premium beef hits $70/kg.(

ABC Rural: Nathan Morris)

Butcher Ted Ellison, who runs a boutique drive-through shop in Toowoomba, said he is seeing more of his customers buying cheaper cuts of beef and mince.

"It's gone from that premium line back into your mince and sausages and your basic cuts, making mince go further," he said.

At his shop, a piece of rib eye will set you back at least $70/kg and beef sausages and mince are over $15/kg.

He is finding it hard to keep prices down when the cost of the carcass is so high.

cods

Re: Beef up to $70 per kilo

Post by cods » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:44 pm

wonder what cheaper cuts he sells bobby.. even mince once the saviour is sky high and quite often rubbish...

nothing in a butchers is cheap that I can see thankfully chicken is still reasonable.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:54 pm

cods wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:44 pm
wonder what cheaper cuts he sells bobby.. even mince once the saviour is sky high and quite often rubbish...

nothing in a butchers is cheap that I can see thankfully chicken is still reasonable.
I have had to pay $50 per Kg for eye fillet for more than 2 years.

cods

Post by cods » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 pm

my answer to it all bobs is not to buy it..

I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for food in this country they throw it away rather than lower the price...someone is making a motzer and it isnt the farmer....and that makes me mad as hell... dont buy it bobby make a stand if we all did that things might change..

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 pm

cods wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 pm

I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for food in this country they throw it away rather than lower the price...someone is making a motzer and it isnt the farmer....and that makes me mad as hell... dont buy it bobby make a stand if we all did that things might change..

I only buy myself a piece of eye fillet once per month.
I have to give myself a treat now and then.

cods

Post by cods » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am

Bobby wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 pm
cods wrote:

good for you but nio good complaining about it then as you are helping to keep the price up...

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:57 am

I miss my brother in law. He traded cattle for a living and always had the hookups for good steaks. Nice guy as well.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:33 am

Countries we export to can pay a lot less for our own beef/lamb than we do and that's what gets me. We'd rather kill it and bury it than sell it cheaply in our own market. Much like the Japanese end users pay a third of what we pay for our own gas.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am

cods wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am
Bobby wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:04 pm
cods wrote:

good for you but nio good complaining about it then as you are helping to keep the price up...
My one portion of eye fillet per month does little to hold up the price.
Imagine if you had a family of 6 to feed and they all wanted an eye fillet steak?

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am

Texan wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:57 am
I miss my brother in law. He traded cattle for a living and always had the hookups for good steaks. Nice guy as well.

In Texas they have 1 pound steaks. :)