Pterosaurs could fly really far

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Pterosaurs could fly really far

Post by Super Nova » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:26 am

Interesting, I always thought they were really piss poor compared to modern birds.

This fossil found in Texas suggests pterosaurs could fly really far

Paleontologists have dug up a 94-million-year-old pterosaur fossil in Texas—the first of its kind discovered in North America. A paper recently published in the Journal of Vertebrae Paleontology reports that the species' closest relative is a pterosaur that was native to what would have been England today, indicating that the creatures were capable of flying extreme distances.

There were other pterosaurs known to have lived in the area at the time, but it was rare for them to have teeth like the newly discovered Cimoliopterus dunni did. Paleontologists believe that its closest relative wasn't among the pterosaurs of North America or South America but the Cimoliopterus cuvieri of Europe. And even though the continents of the Cretaceous period weren’t yet as spread out as they are today, the Atlantic was still progressively widening. The discovery of this species in Texas shows that the creatures were stronger and more comfortable with cross-ocean flights than paleontologists had previously believed.

The lack of toothed pterosaur fossils discovered in the Americas suggests that traveling between the continents was still quite a journey for the ancient pterosaurs. That makes the Texas C. dunni's transatlantic flight an impressive achievement, even 94 million years later.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/travel/news/th ... spartandhp
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

boxy

Re: Pterosaurs could fly really far

Post by boxy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Most of these "artists impression" images, of them flying, make them look like their centre of balance would be way off, with that big head stuck out the front. They should fly more like pelicans, who usually tuck their head back over the body, instead of having it stretched out in front.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

AiA in Atlanta

Re: Pterosaurs could fly really far

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:46 pm

boxy wrote:Most of these "artists impression" images, of them flying, make them look like their centre of balance would be way off, with that big head stuck out the front. They should fly more like pelicans, who usually tuck their head back over the body, instead of having it stretched out in front.
i think you are on to something. it wouldn't have been as graceful as a dragon in a fantasy film which is what these artistic impressions remind me of.