Would you spend a little money to go to space

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Would you spend a little money to go to space

Post by Super Nova » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:21 pm

I want in on this one. A must do before I die, see space and the earth from above. What an experience.

Would you guys spend 10 grand for a couple of minutes in space.

Trips into space will cost £7,000 by 2030

The cost of taking a holiday in space will fall to as little as £7,000 over the next two decades, a veteran Nasa astronaut has predicted.

Donald Thomas, who flew three missions in the space shuttle Columbia and one in Discovery, said that as companies such as Virgin Galactic and SpaceX piled into space tourism they would drive prices down to the point where a trip into orbit could become affordable for many families.

He envisages tourists travelling to the International Space Station as a matter of course by the 2030s. “I expect that in the next couple of years Virgin Galactic will begin their sub-orbital space excursions, allowing tourists the chance to see the Earth from 85 miles up, viewing the curvature of the Earth and the total blackness of the sky in space,” he said.

“Prices for these trips are approximately $220,000 [£155,000]. While still expensive, the trips are much more affordable than paying the Russians $65 million for a trip to the ISS. I also expect that SpaceX, Boeing and a few other companies will follow when tourist trips to and from the ISS are firmly established.

“It is difficult to predict future prices for these trips, but I would anticipate within a decade or two prices will drop to the $10,000 to $20,000 range.”

Dr Thomas, who spent a total of 44 days in space during the mid-1990s and is now an ambassador for Nasa’s Kennedy Space Centre, was optimistic about the prospects for Sir Richard Branson’s project.

Virgin Galactic has suffered a string of delays and accidents since it was founded in 2004, including the mid-air disintegration of its experimental spacecraft VSS Enterprise in 2014, killing Michael Alsbury, the co-pilot.

Dr Thomas was more sanguine than many of the company’s critics. “I believe they are just a few years away from beginning their commercial space flights,” he said.

“Right now they are redesigning their vehicles after their accident a year or two ago. Once the needed redesigns are completed, tested, and the safety of the system verified, commercial flights will commence.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/a ... 712348.ece
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Re: Would you spend a little money to go to space

Post by Neferti » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Absolutely NOT! I don't even want to visit Sydney again. :rofl

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Absolutely NOT! I don't even want to visit Sydney again. :rofl
Sydney is a great place if you have a little money.

Space, what a great memory that would be. I recon you would love it.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Super Nova wrote:
Neferti~ wrote:Absolutely NOT! I don't even want to visit Sydney again. :rofl
Sydney is a great place if you have a little money.

Space, what a great memory that would be. I recon you would love it.
I lived in Sydney for 15+ years ... I have no contacts there now (except one friend who still sends me a card at Christmas). People I knew there have moved elsewhere. I have been back to "Sydney" for several Concerts or something interesting like that over the years .... but just to VISIT? No way. Been there, done that!

S.P.A.C.E. ??? Hoping to find "aliens" ........... nope.

I do have an "open mind" but some stuff that people crap on about is unbelievable. I am a REALIST not an idealist.

Turnbull (or Shorten) getting a majority to become an Elected Prime Minister. Nope. Hung whatever ...... again. We have more chance of flying truckloads of people to the Moon to "holiday" in the next 15 years. :rofl

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:16 pm

I only want to go into space because I want to see for my self the earth from above and see space, the stars without the atmosphere then feel privileged as only a few have seen this and then feel how small and insignificant I am and how big and wanderous the universe is.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 am

No.

Not because I'm a grandma like Naff, but because I see it as a frivolous waste of resources. Similar to big game hunting.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 am

Short answer NO....
not even if I was Billionaire
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 am

Yeah, I would. If I were Mark Zuckerberg I would have already gone and I wouldn't be married to that ugly woman he calls his wife either.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:48 pm

boxy wrote:No.

Not because I'm a grandma like Naff, but because I see it as a frivolous waste of resources. Similar to big game hunting.
No problem, Gramps.

How's the sheep? Is the grass green around there? :Hi

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:59 pm

"Would you spend a little money to go into space?"

No.