First new antibiotic in 25 years

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
lisa jones

Re: First new antibiotic in 25 years

Post by lisa jones » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:21 am

boxy wrote:Don't encourage the anti vaccers :roll:
Well, we're not against vaccination at all here. In fact, all our kids have been vaccinated (and on time...an impt fact that's not always discussed).

This isn't a topic about vaccination. Is it?
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:23 am

Super Nova wrote:
boxy wrote:Someone needs to develop the technology to retrospectively remove the vaccine antibodies from the parents, and then infect them with the diseases they want to risk their children getting.

Fucking mouth breathers.
I like that solution. Then they can experience Polio ...etc and then they can learn why it's so important to use the bodies natural defences as the best form of defence.

I mean... god created the defence system. Giving it early insight to the bad bugs is just using what is already provided by the almighty. Nothing artificial about it.

The logic not to immunise is flawed at it's core, no matter the argument.
You do know why it's flawed, don't you?
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:35 am

lisa jones wrote:
Well, we're not against vaccination at all here. In fact, all our kids have been vaccinated (and on time...an impt fact that's not always discussed).

It would appear most topics you get into though suddenly becomes about you and your children... tryin' a bit too hard aren't you? :du
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:05 am

Rorschach wrote:
lisa jones wrote:

It would appear most topics you get into though suddenly becomes about you and your children... tryin' a bit too hard aren't you? :du
Huh? I thought I was being accused by Boxy of being against vaccinations. Well it looked like a veiled accusation to me. Then again, I could be wrong given I've only just had my morning coffee.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 am

And as for family, children oh and gardening, housework.. yadda yadda yadda... well my life at present revolves around all this.

If it's boring you or annoying you that much, just don't read my posts. Put me on ignore even. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it lol :Hi

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:25 am

lisa jones wrote:
Super Nova wrote:
boxy wrote:Someone needs to develop the technology to retrospectively remove the vaccine antibodies from the parents, and then infect them with the diseases they want to risk their children getting.

Fucking mouth breathers.
I like that solution. Then they can experience Polio ...etc and then they can learn why it's so important to use the bodies natural defences as the best form of defence.

I mean... god created the defence system. Giving it early insight to the bad bugs is just using what is already provided by the almighty. Nothing artificial about it.

I hope so :read
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:59 am

Super Nova wrote:
lisa jones wrote:
Super Nova wrote:

Fucking mouth breathers.

I hope so :read
Ahhh finally, was wondering when you'd turn up.

Go on then, tell me. I'm all ears ... and eyes lol.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 am

An update.

A new one is discovered and showing that nature has the answers and Mum's are the best. Very promising.

New drug to wipe out superbugs

Oliver Moody Science Correspondent

Last updated at 12:01AM, January 23 2016

British scientists have developed an antibiotic from human breast milk that can wipe out drug-resistant bacteria.

The breakthrough opens a new front in the fight against superbugs, a threat that David Cameron has warned could plunge modern medicine “back into the Dark Ages”.

A panel set up by the prime minister to tackle antibiotic-resistant bugs forecast that they would cost the world ten million lives and £700 billion a year by 2050 if the problem went unchecked.

At present the infections kill about 700,000 people each year, including at least 10,000 in Britain. Unlike most conventional antibiotics, the new drug attacks the basic biology of bacteria in a way that makes it almost impossible for them to evolve defences.

It emerged last night that ministers have not planned for a world without antibiotics. Dame Sally Davies, the chief medical officer, told The Times that Whitehall was not preparing because officials hoped powerful new antibiotics would be discovered in time.

Asked whether the government was readying plans for the disaster scenario, she said: “Not at this time, because we’re planning to sort this. But if others do not work with us, it’s not something we can sort on our own. This is a global problem. I am optimistic about this. The science is crackable. It’s doable.”

The new superbug-killing antibiotic is the type of breakthrough on which Dame Sally is relying. Developed at the National Physical Laboratory in southwest London, it can tear bacteria apart within a fraction of a second. It could also be used to treat genetic diseases such as sickle-cell anaemia by rewriting a cell’s DNA, its inventors said.

Dame Sally said that there was already a “serious prospect” of bringing new classes of antibiotic into hospitals. “We need on average ten new antibiotics every decade,” she said. “So I don’t just want some for my old age: I want them for my children’s old age, and their children’s old age. And we did disinvest as a world in this sort of research, so we need to make an investment and sustain it.”

Colin Garner, honorary professor of pharmacology at the University of York and head of the charity Antibiotic Research UK, said that the situation was too urgent to wait for international consensus. The pipeline of new drugs had dried up and the problem was on the brink of becoming “intractable”.

He said: “My heart sinks when I hear the term ‘global initiative’. How long has it taken the world to come to a sort of consensus about climate change? The problem of antibiotic resistance will be at least as intractable because each nation takes a different view of what is required.”

Adam Roberts, senior lecturer in microbial diseases at University College London, said that he was “pleasantly surprised” by Dame Sally’s optimism. “Everything’s getting into place in order to try and solve this, at least at a societal level,” he said.

The compound developed by the NPL scientists was isolated from the active ingredient in breast milk, which has long been known to have innate but weak anti- microbial properties.

Scientists rigged up part of the protein into an artificial virus that rapidly bursts bacteria while leaving human cells alone. The drug acts as a microscopic “projectile”, killing infectious bugs such as E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus at a rate comparable to established antibiotics.

Max Ryadnov, the NPL’s lead biotechnologist, said he was in talks with drugs companies about refining his antibiotic. One of the challenges is to make sure that enough of the virus gets to the infected area without being broken down in the bloodstream.

When it meets human cells, the chemical bullet does something different. Instead of attacking them, it could be used to ferry in new instructions to rewire faulty cells in a technique known as gene therapy. It may be at least a decade before it is clear whether the drug works in the clinic, underlying the threat from drug-resistant strains of bacteria such as E. coli.

Rein Ulijn, director of Central University of New York’s nanoscience initiative, said: “In terms of creative thinking, this is a good step forward.”

The findings appear in the Royal Society of Chemistry journal Chemical Science.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/a ... 672700.ece
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

freediver

Post by freediver » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 am

The reason new antibiotics have not been developed is that they are not needed. It's the same with mining. People fret because there is only a decade or so of any given ore left in the ground. But ore exploration stops once it is no longer economically viable. If people were dying en masse from antibiotic resistant bacteria like they did before antibiotics were developed, they would find a cure very quickly.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:59 pm

freediver wrote:The reason new antibiotics have not been developed is that they are not needed. It's the same with mining. People fret because there is only a decade or so of any given ore left in the ground. But ore exploration stops once it is no longer economically viable. If people were dying en masse from antibiotic resistant bacteria like they did before antibiotics were developed, they would find a cure very quickly.
Agree. The need is now so the research is on in earnest.

Also, there is a market and a major buck to be made for the winner of this race.