First new antibiotic in 25 years

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

First new antibiotic in 25 years

Post by Super Nova » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Don't like the word may but hey... this is big news IMO.

Scientists may have found first new antibiotic in 25 years

Scientists today hailed a potentially major advance against antibiotic resistance with the development of what could be the first new class of antibiotics in 25 years.

If approved for use in humans the new compound, called teixobactin, promises to combat pathogens that have already gained resistance to all available treatments.

Equally importantly, the novel method by which teixobactin was discovered also opens up a whole new mechanism by which scientists can hunt for other antibiotics.

The discovery, outlined in the journal Nature, comes after David Cameron warned that the world could be “cast back into the dark ages of medicine” unless we started taking action to combat growing resistance to antibiotics.

Teixobactin is not, however, able to kill some common strains of bacteria such as E. coli. But experiments on mice showed it could be able to tackle other pathogens such as MRSA and tuberculosis that have proven increasingly difficult to destroy through conventional means.

Professor Kim Lewis, from Northeastern University, said the research “started with the problem we are all pondering – that pathogens are acquiring resistance faster than we can introduce new antibiotics. It is causing a human health crisis. Now we have pathogens that are resistant to all available antibiotics”.

His laboratory is one of many around the world trying to develop new antibiotics to solve this. In autumn last year scientists at MIT announced promising results from an approach that involved engineering compounds to attack the precise genes in the target pathogens.

Professor Lewis in some ways took a more conventional approach by recognising that, until now, many of the potential antibiotics produced by nature have been unavailable to science.

“Most antibiotics we currently have, have been isolated from soil microorganisms. Only about 1 per cent of environmental microorganisms will grow on petri dishes in the lab.” He and his colleagues created a method for growing the other 99 per cent, by sandwiching them between permeable membranes that are then buried in the soil.

“We figured they do grow in soil, so that’s where we are going to grow them. We’re tricking the bacteria; they don’t know this is happening to them. They start growing and form colonies. Once that happens they become domesticated, and can grow on a petri dish.”

Using this technique his laboratory analysed 10,000 cultures. Among them 25 other new antibiotics were found, but teixobactin was deemed the most promising.

Scientists are particularly excited by the fact that teixobactin acts on a fundamental part of the bacteria. This means that it will be far harder for those bacteria to mutate and become resistant to it, as has happened with other antibiotics.

Between 1940 and 1960 a steady stream of new antibiotics were discovered and developed into drugs, revolutionising medicine. Since then developments have dried up and it has been a quarter of a century since any significant new antibiotics entered the market. This method means that it could be possible to isolate many other antibiotics in this way.

“The discovery suggests this is a promising source in general for antibiotics, and has a good chance of helping revive the field of antibiotic discovery,” said Professor Lewis. He estimated the compound is two years from clinical trials and, if successful, at least five years from production.

Other scientists welcomed the news. Professor Mark Woolhouse, from the University of Edinburgh, said: “Any report of a new antibiotic is auspicious, but what most excites me is the tantalising prospect that this discovery is just the tip of the iceberg. Most antibiotics are natural products derived from microbes in the soil. The ones we have discovered so far come from a tiny subset of the rich diversity of microbes that live there.

“It may be that we will find more, perhaps many more, antibiotics using these latest techniques. We should certainly be trying – the antibiotic pipeline has been drying up for many years now; we need to open it up again, and develop alternatives to antibiotics at the same time, if we are to avert a public health disaster.”
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/article4316698.ece
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

lisa jones

Re: First new antibiotic in 25 years

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:18 am

I think this is encouraging news. Are super bugs a thing of the past? I hope so.

I am concerned about any potential side effects though. The stronger the drug, the higher the risks (usually) so that opens up all sorts of other dilemmas.

Interesting topic esp for those of us with little kids and ageing parents.

Good work SN. Will pass this article on to a few medically qualified relatives of mine for comment.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:52 am

I hope this new antibiotic won't put people back to sleep about the dangers of the indiscriminate use of antibiotics. In Japan the doctors handed them out to me like candy. Now I simply don't take them unless my life is in danger.

mantra

Post by mantra » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:25 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:I hope this new antibiotic won't put people back to sleep about the dangers of the indiscriminate use of antibiotics. In Japan the doctors handed them out to me like candy. Now I simply don't take them unless my life is in danger.
This has been happening in Australia for quite a while. I think that we all need to think carefully about our use of antibiotics. They started to become less effective on me quite a while back, so I rarely take them now. It's the same with painkillers or diazapam. Use all drugs very sparingly and they will be more effective when you really need them.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:57 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:I hope this new antibiotic won't put people back to sleep about the dangers of the indiscriminate use of antibiotics. In Japan the doctors handed them out to me like candy. Now I simply don't take them unless my life is in danger.
I can only remember a small handful of times that I have had antibiotics and like to keep it that way.

In the past, many doctors would hand them out to patients with cold symptoms fully knowing that most colds are caused by a virus and antibiotics have no affect at all.

Doctors aren't infallible and the onus should be on the patient to consider what is right for them.

If the doctor said to my mother "we need to amputate your left arm and right leg". She would not question it and would sit back and say "Well you know best doctor".

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 pm

mantra wrote:
This has been happening in Australia for quite a while. I think that we all need to think carefully about our use of antibiotics. They started to become less effective on me quite a while back, so I rarely take them now. It's the same with painkillers or diazapam. Use all drugs very sparingly and they will be more effective when you really need them.
Totally agree with both your comments.

As a matter fact, hubby and I have been chatting about this new drug and its ramifications today.

We've found out that it's being pushed forward by a consortium of American and German scientists in response to the super bugs which are presently causing havoc globally.

As parents, we're concerned about what's in store for those eg kids who may unwittingly experience an allergic reaction to this super drug. Sure, there'll be cases, incidents, follow up reports, and of course warnings, but these tend to be more reactive than proactive when talking about the pharmaceutical industry. As such, we're not willing to offer any of our family members as a sacrificial lamb.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Don't encourage the anti vaccers :roll:
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 am

boxy wrote:Don't encourage the anti vaccers :roll:
It's a shame that the anti-vaccers don't have all their offspring die quick horrible deaths in front of their eyes like they truly deserve.

Stupidity really does deserves its just deserts.
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

boxy

Post by boxy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:04 am

Someone needs to develop the technology to retrospectively remove the vaccine antibodies from the parents, and then infect them with the diseases they want to risk their children getting.

Fucking mouth breathers.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:01 am

boxy wrote:Someone needs to develop the technology to retrospectively remove the vaccine antibodies from the parents, and then infect them with the diseases they want to risk their children getting.

Fucking mouth breathers.
I like that solution. Then they can experience Polio ...etc and then they can learn why it's so important to use the bodies natural defences as the best form of defence.

I mean... god created the defence system. Giving it early insight to the bad bugs is just using what is already provided by the almighty. Nothing artificial about it.

The logic not to immunise is flawed at it's core, no matter the argument.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.