Lost grave of Nefertiti

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Lost grave of Nefertiti

Post by Super Nova » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 pm

One for Nef.

Tutankhamun’s tomb may house lost grave of Nefertiti

The Egyptian queen was known as the "Lady of the Two Lands"

Almost a century after Howard Carter swept away three millennia of dust and rubble to open the tomb of King Tutankhamun, you might think it would have yielded up all its mysteries.

You would be very wrong, according to a new theory advanced by a leading expert on ancient Egypt.

Nicholas Reeves, an English archaeologist at the University of Arizona, claims to have found a bricked-up and hitherto unnoticed portal leading out of Tutankhamun’s burial chamber.

Behind it, he suggests, is the holy grail of Egyptology: the lost grave of Nefertiti, the powerful and notoriously beautiful “Lady of the Two Lands” who may have been the boy-king’s mother and ruled alongside him.

Poring over high-resolution digital scans of the walls of Tutankhamun’s grave complex in the Valley of the Kings, Dr Reeves spotted what he believes to be the “ghosts” of two doorways that had been blocked up by the tomb builders.

One of these is thought to lead into a cramped store room. If Dr Reeves’s hunch about the other portal is right, however, he has hit upon one of the most remarkable archaeological discoveries in decades.

Set on the north side of Tutankhamun’s tomb, the room contains nothing less than “the undisturbed burial of the tomb’s original owner — Nefertiti”, Dr Reeves argues in a monograph.

“The implications are extraordinary,” he wrote. “If digital appearance translates into physical reality, it seems we are now faced not merely with the prospect of a new, Tutankhamun-era store room to the west; to the north appears to be signalled a continuation of tomb KV62, and within these uncharted depths an earlier royal interment — that of Nefertiti herself, celebrated consort, co-regent, and eventual successor of pharaoh Akhenaten.”

Experts have long been puzzled by the modest size of Tutankhamun’s burial chamber, which has about the same dimensions as an antechamber. Dr Reeves said that the discovery of a hidden door suggested that the pharaoh’s room was merely an afterthought, the outer section of a “corridor-style tomb-within-a-tomb”.

The opening seems to have been plastered over and decorated with religious scenes at an earlier date than the other three walls of the tomb as a “blind” to confer ritual protection on the secret chamber behind it, he wrote. “Only one female royal of the late 18th Dynasty is known to have received such honours, and that is Nefertiti.”

Dr Reeves also thinks that Nefertiti may lie behind Neferneferuaten and Smenkhkare, shadowy women whose names appear on some of Tutankhamun’s lavish grave goods.

In fact, as much as 80 per cent of the artefacts that dazzled the world when they were first uncovered in 1922 — even the famous solid-gold death mask and canopic jars containing embalmed organs — were recycled from earlier burials, Dr Reeves wrote.

Burdened with more honorifics than a North Korean dictator, including “Lady of All Women” and “Mistress of Upper and Lower Egypt”, Nefertiti was the chief consort of the pharaoh Akhenaten, who ushered in a golden age late in the 14th century BC.

The whereabouts of her grave are a stubborn enigma. Some scholars think she was buried in Amarna, the capital city founded by her husband, while others argue over the identification of two mummies found 250 miles upriver in the Valley of the Kings. Joyce Tyldesley, senior lecturer in Egyptology at the University of Manchester, said that Dr Reeves’s hypothesis was worthy of serious consideration.

“It would not be surprising if the tomb had been intended to have additional rooms, although how far the builders got with these rooms it is difficult to say on current evidence,” she said.

“I would be very surprised if this tomb was built to house the original, or first, burial of Nefertiti, as it seems to me that it is highly likely that she died during her husband’s reign and so would have been buried at Amarna, the city purpose-built by Akhenaten in Middle Egypt.

“Whether or not her body was subsequently transported to Thebes by Tutankhamun, who may have been her son, is difficult to say. There is good evidence that he did move some of the Amarna royal bodies. But I would have expected her to be buried somewhere in the Western Valley, rather than in the centre of the Valley of the Kings.”

Chase the lady

Finely sculpted limestone busts of Queen Nefertiti have made her perhaps the most famous ancient Egyptian woman, but her resting place is mired in controversy.

Many academics believe she was buried at Amarna, on the east bank of the Nile, where the best-known sculpture was unearthed. Crafted in 1345BC, it is now displayed at the Neues Museum in Berlin.

In 1898 two female mummies were found in the tomb of Amenhotep II. The elder was briefly thought to be Nefertiti, but DNA tests later showed it to be Tiye, Akhenaten’s mother. The identity of the other remains a mystery. In 2003, Joann Fletcher, of the University of York, suggested that it might be Nefertiti, but her theory has been hotly disputed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/a ... .ece#tab-4
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Agnes

Re: Lost grave of Nefertiti

Post by Agnes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 pm

I think this is fascinating - Naf didnt like this one but I think the secrets and history of Ancient Eygypt are intrigueing to say the least- :lol:

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:41 am

My ID is NEFERTI, the name my daughter called her female kitten back when she was about 12. I didn't choose it because of the Egyptian Queen but she may have as around that time they were doing Egyptian history at school.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Looking good. What a discovery.

I will have to go back and see. Tut tomb was very spmall but the painting were still vibrant.

Radar reveals contents of Nefertiti’s tomb

Radar scans have found “organic and metallic matter” within two cavities behind the walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb in Egypt, raising the likelihood that archaeologists have found the long-lost burial chamber of Queen Nefertiti.

Nefertiti, thought to be the boy-king’s stepmother, died 3,000 years ago, and her final resting place was never found, puzzling Egyptologists for decades.

The antiquities ministry hope the two secret chambers will house the remains of the famously beautiful 18th dynasty queen, or at least another of the young pharaoh’s female relatives.

Hirokatsu Watanabe scanned the walls of the tomb for several days. The results show the definite presence of two chambers, as well as “different materials” behind the north and west walls, Mamdouh el-Damaty, Egypt’s antiquities minister, said.

“We are now sure there is something behind the walls and are over 90 per cent sure they are burial chambers. Mr Watanabe said. There will be a new series of scans at the end of the month.

The hypothesis that there was a hidden burial chamber was first put forward last year by Nicholas Reeves, a British archaeologist who, after examining high-resolution images of the chamber’s surfaces, sketched out the presence of two service doors, one leading to a storage room, and to another chamber. Dr Reeves, of Arizona University, believes the cramped tomb of Tutankhamun, who died abruptly aged 19, was hastily built inside the existing tomb of a queen.

Changes made to the wall reliefs showed that it had originally been painted for Nefertiti but adapted for Tutankhamun, he claimed.

The British expert concluded that rather than dying suddenly, the “lady of two lands” changed her identity, becoming pharaohs Neferneferuaten and Smenkhkare, whose names appear on some of Tutankhamun’s grave goods.

If proved right it would be the greatest archaeological discovery since 1922 when British archaeologist Howard Carter and his patron Lord Carnarvon discovered Tutankhamun’s tomb.

Egyptologists in Cairo highlighted the importance of finding “organic and metallic matter” inside the mystery chambers, saying that it could point to the presence of burial goods.

“It does seem as if there are two rooms and they have objects within them, organic and metal. If that is the case, it would be phenomenal in terms of what we could learn from the objects, the technology, what is buried with different royalty. It could change our view of Egyptian history,” said Salima Ikram, professor of Egyptology at the American University in Cairo. “All of the Egyptologists alive now have missed out on Tutankhamun. We are rooting for it containing as much as possible.”

Egypt hopes that the new find will also save the country’s embattled tourism industry, which has collapsed since the October downing of a Russian passenger jet over Sinai.
“[This] could be the discovery of the century . . . it is not only important for Egyptian history but for the whole world,” Dr el-Damaty said of the possible chambers. “When we have a new discovery like this we bring something unique to present to the visitors to Egypt. It will bring people back.”
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/worl ... 715992.ece
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Yes, and Auzgurl/Agnes or whatever it calls itself, reckons that Nefertiti slept with her son, Tutankhamen and refers that to my ID from time to time .... there are some sickos out there.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Neferti~ wrote:Yes, and Auzgurl/Agnes or whatever it calls itself, reckons that Nefertiti slept with her son, Tutankhamen and refers that to my ID from time to time .... there are some sickos out there.
Forget AG.

I look forward how they will get in there.

I need to dig into it from below I think otherwise they will destroy a large part of Tuts room.

A tough one for them.

I would dig a new tunnel

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:03 pm

I enjoy this stuff too. There is this old guy (can't remember his name) who is an Egyptianologist. I am sure you will recognise him!

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Neferti~ wrote:I enjoy this stuff too. There is this old guy (can't remember his name) who is an Egyptianologist. I am sure you will recognise him!

Yep, he is on all the shows.

Zahi Hawass is an Egyptian archaeologist, an Egyptologist, and former Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs. He has also worked at archaeological sites in the Nile Delta, the Western Desert, and the Upper Nile Valley. Hawass has received widespread publicity internationally, and was the subject of a reality television series in the United States, Chasing Mummies

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 am

have seen that Egyptian on TV plenty of times. can't recall why now but he seems to be unpopular in the Egyptology community.

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:00 am

I was reading yesterday that more radar surveys are expected to be conducted later this week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/s ... n Facebook