Why decline in shit threatens mankind

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Why decline in shit threatens mankind

Post by Super Nova » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:08 pm

I knew that if you don't shit you die however now we clearly need bigger shitters to survive long term

Why decline in dung threatens mankind

The world is not only a less interesting place for the extinction of woolly mammoths, it is also becoming harder to farm, researchers claim.

The obliteration of almost every species of giant mammal over the past 100,000 years has all but wiped out a key nutrient cycle that once stretched from the bottom of the ocean to the steppes of central Asia. Researchers at the University of Oxford believe that whales, fish, seabirds and land-based megafauna were links in a chain that refreshed stocks of fertilisers such as phosphorus, which is expected to run out by the end of the century.

Smaller land mammals are not as efficient at distributing fertilisers over large areas as their larger relatives. The academics estimate that the natural chemical cycle has collapsed to six per cent of its former size.

Christopher Doughty, an Oxford ecology lecturer and the paper’s lead author, said that the chemicals were exposed as mountains were eroded. Rain washed the minerals into the oceans, where they were absorbed by tiny animals such as krill.

Dr Doughty and his colleagues wrote in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that these nutrients were then spread across continents through a complex network involving whale excrement, fish, marine birds and land animals.

By 2050, there will be 9.7 billion people but farmers will be running out of basic minerals. Dr Doughty said whale excrement could play a pivotal role in the future of farming. He said: “If we could bring back the populations of marine mammals, we could improve the efficiency of this cycle.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environme ... 596999.ece
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

freediver

Re: Why decline in shit threatens mankind

Post by freediver » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Sounds like the cycle previously relied on birds eating fish and crapping on land. Now we eat the fish instead. I think those nutrients end up on land.

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Can we harvest the shit from left wing blogs and forums?

There's enough fertiliser there to turn Jupiter into a Greenhouse.
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

boxy

Post by boxy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 am

freediver wrote:Sounds like the cycle previously relied on birds eating fish and crapping on land. Now we eat the fish instead. I think those nutrients end up on land.
Don't our turds (largely) get flushed into sewerage outfalls? Back into the ocean.

There has been some work in cycling waste into agricultural fertiliser... but it's far from accepted, so far. Westerners don't like the idea of night soil.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

skippy

Post by skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 am

boxy wrote:
freediver wrote:Sounds like the cycle previously relied on birds eating fish and crapping on land. Now we eat the fish instead. I think those nutrients end up on land.
Don't our turds (largely) get flushed into sewerage outfalls? Back into the ocean.

There has been some work in cycling waste into agricultural fertiliser... but it's far from accepted, so far. Westerners don't like the idea of night soil.
Im sure I've read China used to use human waste in agriculture, maybe it was just a myth against those commy bastards.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Not a myth but led to some health problems.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

boxy

Post by boxy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Researchers from the CSIRO say nutrients from treated sewage can help improve the quality of the soil, increase plant growth and make significant cost-savings for farmers.

If you think about our food supply, what were doing is harvesting all these nutrients from agricultural land and bringing it into cities and our choice is then well: do we pump it into ocean and cause problems; or do we put it in a landfill which is a bit of a waste; do we burn it and cause other problems; or do we re-use it back where nutrients have come from and that's really what the recycling schemes are about.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2274419.htm
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:17 am

Eat my own shit... could do that. Eat someone else's.... needs to show me it is safe.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

freediver

Post by freediver » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:23 am

Let us know how it goes.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:10 pm

skippy wrote:
boxy wrote:

Im sure I've read China used to use human waste in agriculture, maybe it was just a myth against those commy bastards.

The Chinese raise catfish in human waste and sell it to the Americans in Walmart. Kinda like Tilapia.