Drones are amazing

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Drones are amazing

Post by Super Nova » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:15 pm

I think drones are amazing, they will be everywhere doing many things in the future.

Superdrone flies like a bird, swims like a fish

American engineers claim to have built a drone that can fly like a bird and swim like a fish.

The “Naviator” has won the attention of the US navy, which has granted its inventors at Rutgers University $618,000 (£415,000) to develop their prototype into a machine that can take off for missions from a ship or submarine.

That will just be a matter of putting in the time, Javier Diez, the lead engineer, said.

The challenge lay in designing a machine with the power to go from flight to swimming and taking off again.

Dr Diez and his colleagues came up with their eight-propeller design by analysing what happened when a diving bird entered the water and how flying fish soared out of the sea.

The engineers worked out what these activities had in common and built the drone to emulate the lift and buoyancy achieved in nature. The power problem was overcome by altering the angles of the propellers. “You can do real acrobatics with it underwater, because it is weightless,” Dr Diez said.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

boxy

Re: Drones are amazing

Post by boxy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:10 am

Drone are perfect for a multitude of applications... but the stand out is in killing technology, hence the funding source :|
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:40 am

Image one targeted to you personally with the ability to recharge without returning to base.

What a world we leave our children.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:08 pm

What are the laws on owning/flying the small personal ones, I am tepmted to buy one if the price is right!

Must check Ebay.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:18 pm

I think the laws are way behind the technology at the moment.

Probably treated like model planes (some height limit) and avoid restricted air space (like airports, military bases)

So go for it before the laws catch up.