Planet 9

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
AiA in Atlanta

Planet 9

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:47 am

Anyone hear of Planet 9? Reminded me of the movie Melancholia.

Rorschach

Re: Planet 9

Post by Rorschach » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am

We have always had 9 planets until the dickheads demoted pluto... so now we have 10?
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

skippy

Post by skippy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:22 am

Rorschach wrote:We have always had 9 planets until the dickheads demoted pluto... so now we have 10?
Apparently, reports yesterday say they have found a " dark" planet on the edge of our solar system. I think they said it's about ten times the size of Earth. I'll find a link and be back.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/ ... lar-system

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:26 pm

If you get a chance watch Melancholia. It is about a giant rogue planet that is heading in Earth's direction.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Read about that. They infer it's presence. The models for the solar system must be getting pretty accurate to detect it's presence.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

skippy

Post by skippy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Super Nova wrote:Read about that. They infer it's presence. The models for the solar system must be getting pretty accurate to detect it's presence.
While it is interesting I'd be more excited if they found a planet capable of sustaining life as we know it.
I believe there is life on other planets I just want to see it confirmed before I cark it.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:34 pm

If there is life on other plants it wouldn't be life as we know it. Evolution in very different conditions would bring about very different life forms.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:41 pm

Black Orchid wrote:If there is life on other plants it wouldn't be life as we know it. Evolution in very different conditions would bring about very different life forms.
I expect some similarities.

Two Eyes have evolved multiple times.

If they are on the surface, legs of some description.

But yes, they will be different from the outset but will evolve some features that will be familiar.

Compare insects to mammals.... imagine something different to both.... I am sure they will scare the shit out of us so we will need to kill them all. :-)

Imagine a completely different set of microbes, we will have no defense against them.... they will just eat us on contact like the end of War of the Worlds.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.