AiA in Atlanta

science fiction movies

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:24 am

some of my favorite SF movies, in no particular order, are:

Contact
Melancholia
Sunshine
Interstellar

never thought much about it but other favorite movies such as Blade Runner and the Alien series cross into fantasy so I don't include those here.
but even the movies listed above have certainly stretched science more than just a bit.

anyone else?

boxy

Re: science fiction movies

Post by boxy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:01 pm

You're just trolling now... you put Sunshine and Contact in your favs, but leave out Blade Runner and the original Aliens because they stretch science? Pfft.

Sunshine is about flying into the sun, and contact... spare me. BTW, I loved most of Sunshine... but when it comes to stretching science, it pretty much takes the cake :thumb
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:42 pm

a what point does a science fiction movie cross the line into fantasy?

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:32 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:a what point does a science fiction movie cross the line into fantasy?
Around the "Alien: Resurrection" point, were it all got freaky, and in Sunshine, where they started to turn a decent sci-fi flic, into a horror film with bullshit relativity references.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:34 am

My favourite sci-fi, is actually a space cowboy franchise. Firefly/Serenity.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:38 am

Blade runner is also a personal fav... and I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind your classification of it as fantasy. Seemed to be a viable representation of a possible future, at the time. And, still is...

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 am

In Melancholia the giant rogue planet would have ripped Earth apart long before it did in the film. Neil deGrasse Tyson had a lot to say about the science in Interstellar. Carl Sagan wrote the novel Contact, which I haven't read, and am assuming the movie director didn't cross into fantasy but maybe he did. The Martian got rave reviews but I haven't seen it.

Maybe it is the noir element that gives Blade Runner a fantasy feel. Or maybe it is just Harrison Ford playing Decker that does it for me. Dunno. But am looking forward to the sequel.