Australia launched “Space Command"

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Australia launched “Space Command"

Post by Super Nova » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:35 am

About time we got our shit together and stop depending on natural resources and joined he 21st century.

Article extract:

Australia’s government on Tuesday launched “Space Command”, a new defence agency with echoes of the United States’ Space Force that has been tasked with securing the country’s place in an “already contested” cosmos.

Defence Minister Peter Dutton said the new defence arm would be modest to start with, though he gave no detailed staffing or budget figures.

In a speech to the Australian Air Force, he said space “will undoubtedly become a domain that takes on greater military significance in this century”.

“Space is becoming more congested and is already contested, particularly as the boundaries between competition and conflict become increasingly blurred through grey-zone activities,” the minister said

https://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/world/au ... entnewsntp
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Nom De Plume

Re: Australia launched “Space Command"

Post by Nom De Plume » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm

"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

J o h n S m i t h

Post by J o h n S m i t h » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:45 pm

Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 am

We will need to build or buy our own rockets else “Space Command” is but a joke. Then we need suitable space defences (against lasers form satellites, against surface-to-space missiles etc.

I think it is a bit of a wank, quite frankly.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 pm

If Elon Musk can create a full space capability in 10 years, why didn't we do it. We have the resources of a whole country.

I am continually saddened by our inability to innovate and move our economy to be smart and not based on digging it up or growing it for export.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm

1949 Robert Menzies found out that CSIRO were investigating and developing computers. He told them to stick to studying wheat and wool.

What might have been. . .

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:06 pm

Jovial Monk wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm
1949 Robert Menzies found out that CSIRO were investigating and developing computers. He told them to stick to studying wheat and wool.

What might have been. . .
Didn't know that. I know we were leading on Computing. If that is the reason then our government was short sighted. I real shame but never too late.

We need to get on with it and change our investment strategy in tch. The world is tech, that is where the money is. Resources without a local value add is just stupid and short sighted.

We have gone from number 1 in the world to banana republic. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/australia

This is a disgrace. Look at Technological Expertise.
Australia Ranking Entrepreneurship.png
FMD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:10 pm

It is so disappointing, we were not only the lucky country, we were smart.

Now we a the country that had all the potential and we pissed it away.

J o h n S m i t h

Post by J o h n S m i t h » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:19 pm

Super Nova wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 pm
If Elon Musk can create a full space capability in 10 years, why didn't we do it. We have the resources of a whole country.

I am continually saddened by our inability to innovate and move our economy to be smart and not based on digging it up or growing it for export.
A large part of it is this blind obsession the right has that government stay out of anything that can be marketed and it be left to the free market. Australia hasn't the population to entice the free market to spend up billions here on an unknown that is new industry.

Just like we used to do, in the past, govt. needs to start these industries and once they can turn a profit, sell them to the free market. Or better yet, keep them and use the profits to lower our taxes.