Method identified to double computer processing speeds

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:24 pm

I think that the Quantum Computer is all hype and will not result in a computer revolution.

I think this is very clever and now i think about it, obvious ... maybe ........

Scientists introduce what they call 'simultaneous and heterogeneous multithreading' or SHMT. This system doubles computer processing speeds with existing hardware by simultaneously using graphics processing units (GPUs), hardware accelerators for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), or digital signal processing units to process information.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 213907.htm

Imagine doubling the processing power of your smartphone, tablet, personal computer, or server using the existing hardware already in these devices.

Hung-Wei Tseng, a UC Riverside associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, has laid out a paradigm shift in computer architecture to do just that in a recent paper titled, "Simultaneous and Heterogeneous Multithreading."

Tseng explained that today's computer devices increasingly have graphics processing units (GPUs), hardware accelerators for artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), or digital signal processing units as essential components. These components process information separately, moving information from one processing unit to the next, which in effect creates a bottleneck.

In their paper, Tseng and UCR computer science graduate student Kuan-Chieh Hsu introduce what they call "simultaneous and heterogeneous multithreading" or SHMT. They describe their development of a proposed SHMT framework on an embedded system platform that simultaneously uses a multi-core ARM processor, an NVIDIA GPU, and a Tensor Processing Unit hardware accelerator.

The system achieved a 1.96 times speedup and a 51% reduction in energy consumption.

"You don't have to add new processors because you already have them," Tseng said.

The implications are huge.

Read more in the article.....
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Jasin

Re: Method identified to double computer processing speeds

Post by Jasin » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Don't you want a future where the 'machines' take over and enslave the minds of humanity?
It's already happening Supernova.
People can only think in the form of what they see on TV for starters.
Anything else outside of 'TV Land' is a lie!

As for the SuperComputers?
Well, I'm not too sure how far and versatile they can get?
There's been some really weird shit these last number of decades.

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:13 pm

I am sure that conventual computing will get more powerful, Look at what Nvidia have come up with, an entire data center in one machine that can sit on a table, a very strong table.

AI will get there and will eventual appear sentient. We will become dependent on our robots and systems, just like we have become dependent on electricity and everything that has come from that.

I am not afraid of it, it is the next stage in our evolution. We will be the borg.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:23 pm

I'm impressed with the super-computers that bring up simulations based on Astronomical, Cosmological, Quantum Mechanical, Physics, etc - to create simulations of things in the Universe to help verify and understand 'out there' a bit better. This is good computing.

I have no doubt many societies of tomorrow will become dependent, even entirely - to exist on such machines like A.I.
These people will have 'artificial intelligences'. Their brains will cease to be able to think for themselves.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:06 am

Super Nova wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:24 pm
I think that the Quantum Computer is all hype and will not result in a computer revolution.
Me too.
I looked at research papers on the internet for many days a few years ago.
The Q Bits create so much noise that the signal you want gets lost.
So the solution to the task is there but you can't extract it.
No doubt it will improve and solve some problems but 99.999% of
problems will always be solved by conventional computers.

If Quantum computers are ever able to solve prime factorisation then
all our internet traffic will be at risk from eavesdropping and hacking.
That will be bad for all our banking and even worse for military secrets.
They are already having to develop crypto techniques that don't use prime factors
to counter that threat.
It's not easy to do.