Is English just badly pronounced French?

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Bobby

Is English just badly pronounced French?

Post by Bobby » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:16 pm

In this video I respond to the claim that English does not exist,
but is instead merely badly pronounced French.
I explain just how much the French have influenced our language,
but why it is still a distinct, Germanic language.

Jasin

Re: Is English just badly pronounced French?

Post by Jasin » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm

I've watched his clips. He's good.
Yes, English comes from the Germanic, but was perfected by French. Funny that.

...but now the American and Australian versions of English are changing English itself.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:37 pm

Jasin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 pm
I've watched his clips. He's good.
Yes, English comes from the Germanic, but was perfected by French. Funny that.

...but now the American and Australian versions of English are changing English itself.

I speak French fairly well.
I noticed something funny -
when I pick up a French/English - English/ French dictionary -
it is not always immediately obvious what section I am reading -
that's how similar the 2 languages are. :)

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:49 pm

I have no doubt that some form of English will be the 'Common tongue' of the world in the future.
English is spoken from the mouth.
Arabic from the throat.
Japanese from the lower intestine.
Etc with other languages.

Some form of Latin though, will be the language of 'Song' or singing.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:59 pm

Jasin wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:49 pm
I have no doubt that some form of English will be the 'Common tongue' of the world in the future.
English is spoken from the mouth.
Arabic from the throat.
Japanese from the lower intestine.
Etc with other languages.

Some form of Latin though, will be the language of 'Song' or singing.
English sounds great.
French people tell me that songs in English sound magnificent to them.
I find that most other languages sound awful
except for the Latin romance languages: French, Italian, Spanish etc.

Aquarius

Post by Aquarius » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 am

I love French. I always remember my French teacher telling us that French is the most grammatically correct language in the world - whereas English for example is not. All those possessive cases and shortening everything with apostophes which she said was indicative of a very lazy language. The French would never do such a thing! They would never say Bill's book - it would always be the book of Bill. And only the English would say you're instead of you are. However everything about language and linguistics is fascinating. I also learnt Latin in high school - Latin has had such a profound effect on our scientific and legal language - all those Latin roots. But terribly boring to learn when the only things you talk about are Caesar's armies. Then the Greek influence. French from the Normans - and Germans too via the Anglo Saxons. But it's only to be expected. Britain has been conquered so many times throughout their history. Naturally the conquerors' languages would then take precedence and the Normans were the last of the conquerors.

My father's family came from East Yorkshire and the particular city they came from was built by the invading Vikings who introduced the Danelaw. I first went there with my grandmother when I was 16. Although her family came from Scotland and Kent in England, she was interested in my grandfather's family history. The Vikings actually founded the city and there are so many placenames that are Norse and still in use. When we were sightseeing, people would say to us "have a skeg around" meaning "have a look around.' So many of the old Norse words are still alive in the language of Yorkshire. All the place names are Norse - We bought a book in York - originally named Jorvik by the Danes - with all those names and it's really surprising how many are still in use and have become part of the English language. My family looks like they came from Scandinavia thanks to their ancestors - blue eyes and fair skin and hair. Whereas my best friend and her mother came from Carlisle in the Lakes District near Hadrian's Wall and resemble their Roman ancestors with their olive skin and dark hair.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:31 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 am
I love French. I always remember my French teacher telling us that French is the most grammatically correct language in the world - whereas English for example is not. All those possessive cases and shortening everything with apostophes which she said was indicative of a very lazy language. The French would never do such a thing! They would never say Bill's book - it would always be the book of Bill. And only the English would say you're instead of you are. However everything about language and linguistics is fascinating. I also learnt Latin in high school - Latin has had such a profound effect on our scientific and legal language - all those Latin roots. But terribly boring to learn when the only things you talk about are Caesar's armies. Then the Greek influence. French from the Normans - and Germans too via the Anglo Saxons. But it's only to be expected. Britain has been conquered so many times throughout their history. Naturally the conquerors' languages would then take precedence and the Normans were the last of the conquerors.

My father's family came from East Yorkshire and the particular city they came from was built by the invading Vikings who introduced the Danelaw. I first went there with my grandmother when I was 16. Although her family came from Scotland and Kent in England, she was interested in my grandfather's family history. The Vikings actually founded the city and there are so many placenames that are Norse and still in use. When we were sightseeing, people would say to us "have a skeg around" meaning "have a look around.' So many of the old Norse words are still alive in the language of Yorkshire. All the place names are Norse - We bought a book in York - originally named Jorvik by the Danes - with all those names and it's really surprising how many are still in use and have become part of the English language. My family looks like they came from Scandinavia thanks to their ancestors - blue eyes and fair skin and hair. Whereas my best friend and her mother came from Carlisle in the Lakes District near Hadrian's Wall and resemble their Roman ancestors with their olive skin and dark hair.

French is much more difficult that English.
It has 14 tenses and masculine and feminine for every object.
That makes it useful for diplomatic language if correctly written.
I find that it takes more words than English to say the same thing.
Many scientists prefer English as it's easier to explain something.

Frances

Post by Frances » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm

I did French in high school, but I've forgotten most of what I learnt after all those years.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 pm

Frances wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:32 pm
I did French in high school, but I've forgotten most of what I learnt after all those years.
Ha! You must be my long lost twin. Forgotten French from high school and a dislike of whiskey even with Scottish heritage.

Frances

Post by Frances » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:23 pm

You never know, do you?