Smoking fish

Have a chat here and this is also where you start Petitions. Current election Threads will also be here. Some old election Threads are also here.
Jovial Monk

Smoking fish

Post by Jovial Monk » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:47 pm

No not like a cigarette :S

I am thinking cold smoking, flavoring and preserving the fish.

SO MUCH great seafood and trout etc in Tassie! I do not like “fishing for the rubbish bin” so a way of preserving a really abundant catch is necessary.

Plenty of ways. DK Publishing have a great title “Preserve it!” which covers all sorts of preserving of fruits etc etc and also fish and meats by salting, smoking and curing. This is the basic text for anyone wanting to preserve, from a super abundant apricot harvest to meat, shellfish and fish. Get this book, it is great!

When it comes to smoking there are two ways: cold smoking and hot smoking.

Hot smoking flavors and cooks the food. Takes time but O!M!G! deelish!

Cold smoking preserves and flavors the food.

I will buy a hot smoker, maybe a water smoker—the water regulates the temperature and rate the food cooks at and build a cold smoker.

LOTS of fishing in Tassie in rivers, lakes and the sea. Within the bag limits catch all you can, preserve/cook your catch.

Since I am part Jewish—maybe try to make gefilte fish?

I love preserving, more than I do cooking, strangely. Maybe it is those rows of jars gleaming richly in the sunlight? My new block in Tassie is at a bit of a height so I think I need to buy a “Pressure canner.”

The pressure bit means I can preserve meat and veges as well as fruit. Bet mushroom sauce pressure canned will last months in the jar,

The pressure bit also means I can preserve fruit even if I was thousands of feet above sea level (not that I would move there! But I can adjust for lower pressure higher up the mountainside.

Growing and preserving ones own food is a novelty in this day and age and that is sad. Preserve fruit at the peak of ripeness and you have something you cannot buy in a “super” market! Peaches, picked ripe, peeled, halved & pitted then cooked in the lightest of sugar syrups with some mere hints of spice (1 cinnamon stick, 3-4 cloves, zest of a lemon) and a squeeze of lemon juice) canned and left for a few months then in the middle of a grey winter you crack a jar of preserved peach halves, pour it into your bowl—and the sun is shining on you from your breakfast bowl! Deelish, inspiring!