Flipping Furniture

Have a chat here and this is also where you start Petitions. Current election Threads will also be here. Some old election Threads are also here.
lisa jones

Flipping Furniture

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:51 am

Anyone ever tried that?

It's a form of recycling/upcycling which gives pre loved furniture a new life and keeps our landfill low. These pieces are then enjoyed by either yourself or others.

I'm working on a few pieces atm (ie I'm instructing the guys in my family).

The problem I have is this :

I am after a lighter wood finish and I just can't achieve it.

Let me see if I can get a few pics up so you can see what I mean.

Here is a typical example of a sad and sorry dining table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

lisa jones

Re: Flipping Furniture

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:55 am

Now look at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:10 am

Essentially my problem is this : The "clear" spray can stuff my eldest son is using for the top of the table AFTER he's sanded it beautifully (he knows how to sand as he's got this electric thingy with different grades of sandpaper) so the table top looks beautiful and almost white. That's the raw finish.

Enter this clear spray sealant stuff and OMG lo the table top goes dark and yellow/orangy again. πŸ˜”πŸ˜©

I'm trying to achieve a Hamptons style sun room finish so I need clear almost white wood grains with very dark blue contrasts to match the blues and whites I have in soft furnishings.

Oh and I'm trying to avoid spray painting the table top white. Why? The bentwood chairs I bought are such that the table top needs to match those chair bases that you sit on ie they too are clear pale wood coloured.

J o h n S m i t h

Post by J o h n S m i t h » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:13 am

use bee's wax , you'll need multiple coats.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/glitz-200g- ... h_p4460472

your table looks like it's pine (hard to tell with the photos') which leans towards yellow anyway. You'll never get rid of all the yellow

water based clears, polyurethanes and shellac will always make it more yellow

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:20 pm

Ok finally back (bloody hell it's been a busy day).

I should add that the 2 pics above are NOT mine. They illustrate my predicament though.

(I have a much nicer more solid round table which belonged to mum and as such it's important for me to work on it AND to keep it).

However I can't get away from this bloody yellow/brown tint result AFTER my son sands it back to basically white and then uses this πŸ‘‡ stuff to seal it. It's a spray can.

Let me see if the pic comes up (I'm on my iPhone).

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:26 pm

Damn! I've got Smith on ignore and now I have to unignore him (so I can see if he's been helpful or abusive).

πŸ˜©πŸ˜”πŸ˜

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:34 pm

John that stuff stuff is super cheap and from Bunnings.

This stuff πŸ‘‡ which I gave is super expensive and is made in England. I wonder what the REAL difference is (in terms of what works and what doesn't).

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:36 pm

This is part of the label.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:37 pm

This is the label from behind. Is it the same stuff you're talking about John?

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:51 pm

Bees wax is bees wax.