SCAMS - let's compare notes

Have a chat here and this is also where you start Petitions. Current election Threads will also be here. Some old election Threads are also here.
lisa jones

SCAMS - let's compare notes

Post by lisa jones » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:38 am

We have the App which lets us know if anything is owing. Oh and we ourselves know about what trips we've made too because WE have taken those trips along motorways etc.

This is an example of a shitful scam which makes no sense but apparently some people do fall for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

Bobby

Re: SCAMS - let's compare notes

Post by Bobby » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:39 am

I get emails to an old Hotmail account of mine almost every day
with advice on how to pick up $ millions in winnings from lotteries or deceased estates.
Sometimes it's a Nigerian Prince or General who wants me to help him out.
They always fish for my name, address and phone number etc.
I wonder what percentage of all emails in the world are actually scams?

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:35 am

Bobby wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:39 am
I get emails to an old Hotmail account of mine almost every day
with advice on how to pick up $ millions in winnings from lotteries or deceased estates.
Sometimes it's a Nigerian Prince or General who wants me to help him out.
They always fish for my name, address and phone number etc.
I wonder what percentage of all emails in the world are actually scams?
Good question.

Let me tell you what happened to me early this morning. I was responding to an email from Woolworths Rewards. (I go on about Woolworths and their Rewards system on OzPol because I'm an avid fan of that brand).

Half way through answering it I took another look at it. Yep it looked perfectly normal and something I had seen plenty of times before. So I kept answering the questions (the email was specifically addressed to me and the English language in it was spot on too. The fonts and colours were perfect. I concluded that I was just being paranoid about scams. This was truly Woolworths - my go to fav supermarket brand.

Well I got to the last question. I was required to send them money! For what? Posting and handling.

Woolworths only ever gives me online stuff. I mean who still posts things? And only someone desperate and shameless would ask you for that to be paid for.

Then I scanned the email properly. I noticed a spelling mistake. And I double checked the email address with previous emails by Woolworths. Different sender.

An immediate deletion and a well earned block followed.

Lessons learned? Don't read emails before your morning coffee. And if you have a sense/feeling that something is not quite right about an email ... don't ever ignore it.
I would rather die than sell my heart and soul to an online forum Anti Christ like you Monk

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:51 am

Yes Lisa,
be very careful -
even to click on any link or reply to such an email can cause a lot of problems.
Sometimes they only want to find out if your email is being used by you.

lisa jones

Post by lisa jones » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Bobby wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:51 am
Yes Lisa,
be very careful -
even to click on any link or reply to such an email can cause a lot of problems.
Sometimes they only want to find out if your email is being used by you.
🥺