Autumn equinox today 20th March 2024

Have a chat here and this is also where you start Petitions. Current election Threads will also be here. Some old election Threads are also here.
Bobby

Autumn equinox today 20th March 2024

Post by Bobby » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:27 am

Well - we can say goodbye to summer today.

https://www.twinkl.com.au/event/autumn-australia-2024

When is the 1st day of autumn in Australia?

Autumn, also known in some parts of the world as Fall, officially starts when the autumn equinox occurs. The autumn equinox in the Southern Hemisphere is also known as the March equinox. It tends to fall in March, and in 2024 the autumn equinox is 20th March. This is when autumn 2024 officially starts in the Southern Hemisphere. So, that means that the 1st day of autumn in Australia this year will officially be the 20th of March.

Of course, just because the 20th of March is officially the 1st day of autumn in Australia, it doesn't mean that the leaves will go brown overnight and the temperature will drop suddenly from one day to the next. There will likely be signs of autumn long before the official 1st day of autumn in Australia, so why not have some fun with your students by keeping an eye out for them? You could even keep a journal of things you spot so that you can track the changes as they happen!
What is an equinox?

Equinoxes and solstices are the signal of seasons changing, the shift from summer to winter and vice versa. The equinox is also the only time in the year when the Earth isn’t tilted away from or toward the sun – creating a near equal amount of daylight and night at all latitudes. After the March equinox, the Southern Hemisphere will begin to have shorter days, while the Western Hemisphere will start having longer days.

This means that in Australia, and other countries in the Southern Hemisphere, autumn starts in March. But for countries in the Western Hemisphere, March is the start of spring!

Bobby

Re: Autumn equinox today 20th March 2024

Post by Bobby » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:02 pm

In Melbourne we went from 30 yesterday down to 18 today.
Right now it's 18 and no more hot days expected.

When people say that the 1st March is the end of summer they are dead wrong.
That's why March can have such hot weather.
We just had a couple of 3 day or more heatwaves.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:49 pm

I'll be ever so glad to see the back of summer.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:02 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:49 pm
I'll be ever so glad to see the back of summer.
I agree - Autumn and Spring are my favorite seasons in Melbourne.
Summer is too hot and Winter is too cold.

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:43 am

March has had some of the hottest March days since records began back in the 1800s (not exactly sure which decade)

The autumn leaves are making such a mess that we are thinking of buying a petrol garden vacuum that mulches the leaves to compact them.
Looking on fb market place for second hand ones.
Most are electric.

Looking at the weather forecast for next week or so is in the low 20s thank goodness.
It was 42 here the other day! I can’t handle heat too well, cold I can handle better.
I never have heating on in bedroom, and have window open for cold air. Maybe I’m an Eskimo :giggle
Although I do like a crackling fireplace glowing warmth in the main living area.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:12 am

Sophia wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:43 am
March has had some of the hottest March days since records began back in the 1800s (not exactly sure which decade)

The autumn leaves are making such a mess that we are thinking of buying a petrol garden vacuum that mulches the leaves to compact them.
Looking on fb market place for second hand ones.
Most are electric.

Looking at the weather forecast for next week or so is in the low 20s thank goodness.
It was 42 here the other day! I can’t handle heat too well, cold I can handle better.
I never have heating on in bedroom, and have window open for cold air. Maybe I’m an Eskimo :giggle
Although I do like a crackling fireplace glowing warmth in the main living area.
42 degrees? - whereabouts is that?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:06 am

I detest the heat nowadays but I love the cold and wish it would last longer. A friend calls me the Ice Queen lol.

There's a full moon and lunar eclipse in Virgo to usher it all in on the 25th and this full moon is said to bring good vibes and high energies.

Bring it on! 8-)

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:10 am

9th March. I have this outdoor thermometer by 6 pm it was down to about 41.
I took a photo of it … have to see how to post pics in here soon but I’m off to the gym today!
I recall regrettably not taking a pic of the thermometer when it was 50 deg on black Saterday back in 7th Feb 2009 when kinglake and surround burned. Was a horrible time.

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:06 am
I detest the heat nowadays but I love the cold and wish it would last longer. A friend calls me the Ice Queen lol.

There's a full moon and lunar eclipse in Virgo to usher it all in on the 25th and this full moon is said to bring good vibes and high energies.

Bring it on! 8-)
Driving home last night from the peninsula, the moon was out when the sun was still out… the moon was huge, and looked almost transparent!
I’ve got to work out posting pics later.
Re: cold weather, I have more winter clothing, warm under garments, scarfs all designs etc boots, umbrellas, rain gear, than I have summer clothing, sandals, etc :giggle

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:20 am

I prefer the colder climate. Australia is naturally hot and brutally so. Any cold weather is welcoming. It's not like we have severe freezing temperatures and extreme blizzards, etc. Plus the UV in Summer is harsh. So thick overcast rainy weather is good and better a flood than a drought in the outback.
Having worked construction, the heat can be debilitating - unlike the cold.
In the cold, you can put more clothes on. But in the heat, you can only take so much clothing off.