Autumn equinox today 20th March 2024

Have a chat here and this is also where you start Petitions. Current election Threads will also be here. Some old election Threads are also here.
Black Orchid

Re: Autumn equinox today 20th March 2024

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:22 am

Sophia wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am
Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:06 am
I detest the heat nowadays but I love the cold and wish it would last longer. A friend calls me the Ice Queen lol.

There's a full moon and lunar eclipse in Virgo to usher it all in on the 25th and this full moon is said to bring good vibes and high energies.

Bring it on! 8-)
Driving home last night from the peninsula, the moon was out when the sun was still out… the moon was huge, and looked almost transparent!
I’ve got to work out posting pics later.
Re: cold weather, I have more winter clothing, warm under garments, scarfs all designs etc boots, umbrellas, rain gear, than I have summer clothing, sandals, etc :giggle
You can always warm up if it's cold with clothing. Even if you're naked in the heat it's still HOT!

BTW welcome Sophia. I've seen you around but don't really know you as I've not been very regular at OzPol for a few years.

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:27 am

Vulcan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:20 am
I prefer the colder climate. Australia is naturally hot and brutally so. Any cold weather is welcoming. It's not like we have severe freezing temperatures and extreme blizzards, etc. Plus the UV in Summer is harsh. So thick overcast rainy weather is good and better a flood than a drought in the outback.
Having worked construction, the heat can be debilitating - unlike the cold.
In the cold, you can put more clothes on. But in the heat, you can only take so much clothing off.
Exactly! And in the cold s nice hot cuppa or hot chocolate and the innards are warm but in summer, no matter how much cold stuff we drink… it just never feels enough as we dehydrate so easily!
Did you know, during the wars, the injured soldiers in the colder climate survived better than injured soldiers in the hotter areas?
Last month, I went away camping for a weekend, the weather was so hot one day I forgot to put sunblock on top of my feet… now I have sandal shaped peeling tan on my feet, it looks like dirty feet :oops

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:22 am
Sophia wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am
Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:06 am
I detest the heat nowadays but I love the cold and wish it would last longer. A friend calls me the Ice Queen lol.

There's a full moon and lunar eclipse in Virgo to usher it all in on the 25th and this full moon is said to bring good vibes and high energies.

Bring it on! 8-)
Driving home last night from the peninsula, the moon was out when the sun was still out… the moon was huge, and looked almost transparent!
I’ve got to work out posting pics later.
Re: cold weather, I have more winter clothing, warm under garments, scarfs all designs etc boots, umbrellas, rain gear, than I have summer clothing, sandals, etc :giggle
You can always warm up if it's cold with clothing. Even if you're naked in the heat it's still HOT!

BTW welcome Sophia. I've seen you around but don't really know you as I've not been very regular at OzPol for a few years.
Thank you.
On Oz pol I’m irregular on a regular basis, or is that regular on an irregular basis?
Small time poster and when certain subjects are discussed I can relate to, I like to contribute.
Cheers BO

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm

Bobby wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:27 am
Well - we can say goodbye to summer today.

https://www.twinkl.com.au/event/autumn-australia-2024

When is the 1st day of autumn in Australia?

Autumn, also known in some parts of the world as Fall, officially starts when the autumn equinox occurs. The autumn equinox in the Southern Hemisphere is also known as the March equinox. It tends to fall in March, and in 2024 the autumn equinox is 20th March. This is when autumn 2024 officially starts in the Southern Hemisphere. So, that means that the 1st day of autumn in Australia this year will officially be the 20th of March.
What a load of shite. The start of the seasons are about one month ahead of what the calendar says. Realistically, you start feeling Autumn weather some time in February. Winter starts kicking in by mid May. Spring is around late August. And Summer seems to start by November.

To think you are not feeling that change in the weather a while ago. I put my hot water system on about 3 weeks back. I still have cold showers during the day. But night time I have to have warm showers.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:50 pm

But wouldn't your Autumn up there in Queensland Subby, be felt or experienced in its conditions at a different time to other parts of Australia?
Would your Autumn conditions be experienced at different times in different years?
I know where I live - Summer was lucky to get over 31C for the odd few days here and there.
I know the Aborigines had 'Seasons' ranging in 8 different types pending what part of the continent.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:10 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:50 pm
But wouldn't your Autumn up there in Queensland Subby, be felt or experienced in its conditions at a different time to other parts of Australia?
Would your Autumn conditions be experienced at different times in different years?
I know where I live - Summer was lucky to get over 31C for the odd few days here and there.
I know the Aborigines had 'Seasons' ranging in 8 different types pending what part of the continent.
I can have a cold shower at any part of the day or night from September to March. That is normally the time of year when the hot water system is shut off. From March to April, it is normal for me to have a cold shower in the day and a warm shower at night -- depending on the conditions. May onwards until August, I would not think of having anything other than at least a warm shower.

With that in mind, we get about 5 or 6 months of summer here. August/September is considered Spring. March/April is considered Autumn. Then you have about May, June, and July as the winter months -- because I usually get a jacket on for those months. Dead of winter can last 2 to 4 weeks. Although I have seen very cold weather lasting no more than a week. Other times I see cold weather lasting 2 months. "Cold weather" meaning when temperatures get to a minimum below 10°C.

Autumn for me is when you detect the chill in the air. It either starts mid-February or early March. But March 20 being the "start of Autumn" is just ridiculous. That gives the impression that June 20 is the start of winter. It is by no means cold or even cool weather at the moment. But, a month from now, we are going to be switching off our ceiling fans. A month after that, the windows are getting closed. And a month after that, I will be insulating the home with blankets and cardboard boxes over the windows that don't already have curtains.

Autumn depends on how wet the summer has been. If it has rained a lot, Autumn comes early. If it has not rained much, Autumn comes later. I just get the feeling that we are in for a very cold winter this year.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:58 pm

I see what you mean Subby. Yes - I think it will be a cold winter. Last year's winter was mild.

Jasin

Post by Jasin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:22 am

I wonder if one is an 'extremist' Right or Left if one prefers the intense heat of Summer or the intense cold of Winter??
With the Centrists or conservatives of both preferring Spring and Autumn??

Sophia

Post by Sophia » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:00 am

I’m not sure about extreme heat or extreme cold, when I think of places like deserts, or countries where it gets 30deg below zero.
Lately it’s been perfect in low 20s and it’s nice being outdoors feeling comfortable.
The sun is mildly warm on skin, very pleasant.

When we went to Canada/Alaska, it was supposed to be cold but… it seems there was a heatwave that particular time we went! :tweed
We packed big Parker coats, wool hats and gloves etc only to find we were carting it around or wearing it around our waists as it was so warm!
The locals said the week before was very cold and blizzard like.
We went up to the cooler mountain region via big 4 wheel trucks to see the sled dogs, because the dogs are used to and require cooler climate, hence where they are, only to find it was rather warm up there and the poor dogs were panting from the warmth.