Abbott the quiet achiever...

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Rorschach

Abbott the quiet achiever...

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 am

TONY Abbott is rapidly acquiring a reputation as the Quiet Achiever.

To the chagrin of the Labor-aligned ABC and Fairfax Media, the newish Prime Minister doesn't feel compelled to appear on television 24/7 nor trumpet every phone call or collegiate discussion.

His is not the bull-at-the-gate approach both the ABC and Fairfax hysterically warned of before the election, but the measured decision-making of an experienced leader - and he is still growing into the job.

Since September 7, Abbott has by necessity spent a vast amount of time unwinding disastrous reckless and wasteful Labor policies beloved of no one but the extremists who make up the tiny inner-city membership of the ALP's faction-dominated branches.

Labor's economy-destroying carbon dioxide tax was targeted as a priority, as was Labor's extraordinarily ill-advised $1.8 billion FBT hit on the struggling automotive car industry, Labor's catastrophic border protection policy, its anti-mining and anti-business policies and self-indulgent, patronising approach to vulnerable Aboriginal Australians.

The Abbott agenda is now one of repeal and build and it is progressing.

The draft legislation to end the carbon tax and the mining tax have been released for comment.

The car leasing businesses, which went into meltdown as soon as Labor started to promote class warfare with its ill-advised attack on FBT, began regrouping as soon as Labor lost. This job-destroying legislation was never enacted and died as soon as the election was called.

At Abbott's first meeting of the National Security Committee of Cabinet, Major General Angus Campbell was promoted to Lieutenant General and put in charge of Operation Sovereign Borders to address the illegal people-smuggling racket.

From that day, the Immigration Department ceased granting Permanent Protection Visas to illegal boat arrivals and reintroduced Temporary Protection Visas, denying permanent residency to those who have already arrived illegally by boat prior to the Papua New Guinea resettlement arrangement.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison has already made multiple trips to Malaysia and Indonesia to ensure a close working relationship with both nations.

Before the election Labor, the Greens and their media acolytes at the ABC and Fairfax derided Abbott's potential as a diplomat. Since the election he has had a warm and constructive meeting with New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, attended the APEC Summit in Bali, had bilateral discussions with Singapore, Thailand, Canada, Malaysia, Mexico, PNG and US Secretary of State John Kerry.

The only thing his detractors quibbled at were his frank and honest remarks to The Washington Post about the "wacko" government run by his dysfunctional Labor predecessors.

As he moves to dump the disasters and create real opportunities, not just more public service jobs, the trade union movement with the ABC and Fairfax are gearing up for what they see as their next front - legislation that will require the same transparency of union bosses as that faced by executives bosses in the private sector.

No longer will union chiefs like the corrupt former Health Services Union and ALP president Michael Williamson be able to hide their bloated salaries from their members.

Under the draft legislation unions may be required to declare the salaries of the top five earners and those union secretaries who have been enjoying secret payments as members of union superannuation boards will also find they may be required to disclose their extra benefits.

The building, electrical trades and maritime unions may also be in for a surprise when they find their ability to stand over employers weakened as the law is tightened to restrict the flow of employer "contributions" to union slush funds.

Cutting the red and green tape, running the rule over the bureaucracies with the National Commission of Audit instructed to address Labor's record of waste and mismanagement, restoring accountability and getting on with the job.

Labor, meanwhile, is still coming to terms with its devastating election loss and is locked in debate over the non-existent merits of Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard.

Labor's faction-controlled election of Opposition Leader Bill Shorten is proof it was never serious about experimenting with democracy. As in the national election, the voters delivered a result Labor didn't like and Labor is still ignoring them.

The merit of the measured Abbott approach
was revealed yesterday when it was disclosed that he had personally intervened to prevent the removal of the words "Known Unto God" from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the National War Memorial and their replacement with boilerplate words taken from a scripted speech made by the divisive former Labor Prime Minister Paul Keating.

Brendan Nelson, director of the embattled War Memorial, who took the ill-considered decision to remove the classic epitaph, must now consider dumping the remaining meaningless Keating babble: "He is one of them, and he is all of us."

If Cabinet has been ordered to forego ad hocery, the rest of government should follow suit.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... -a-quiet-a." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

mantra

Re: Abbott the quiet achiever...

Post by mantra » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 am

The link doesn't open on my computer - but it's obvious who wrote it - Piers Akerman the over indulgent lying Lib lap dog. What a load of crap. I nearly gagged reading it. Akerman is not a credible source.

The quiet achiever is a bulldust analogy for being mute, secretive and cunning.

Abbott has explained nothing to a stunned public. He has not only nearly doubled our debt ceiling in a few short weeks, he is signing us up to an FTA with China of all countries. Why? Abbott hasn't told us why. How do we compete with a nation of 1.3 billion who use dirt cheap labour?

Howard signing us up to an FTA with the US has been an abysmal failure for Australia, but the US have reaped the benefits. We're indebted to them for billions. How much will we end up owing China especially since Hockey is breaking a promise to us that foreign ownership would be reduced to $15 million. China is demanding their ownership be increased to $1 billion per acquisition.

Howard started the process of an Australian fire sale - Abbott will finish it.

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:13 am

You will have to speak up Mantra.

I can't hear you over the awesome job Abbott I'd doing.
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am

What utter bloody nonsense. Abbott is making us a global laughing stock with his climate change policies, the TPP, the NBN, the way he has managed to insult a lot of our Asian neighbours.

Name ONE good thing he has achieved.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

The TPP and NBN are good policy changes and he has a much better relationship with our Asian neighbours than the ALP.

Conservatives have always got on better with our Asian neighbours than the left. We are more closely ideologically aligned and we would never be stupid enough to threaten food security of our closest Asian neighbours because of a biased TV program from the hidden cam of radical activists.
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

mantra wrote:The link doesn't open on my computer - but it's obvious who wrote it - Piers Akerman the over indulgent lying Lib lap dog. What a load of crap. I nearly gagged reading it. Akerman is not a credible source.
More credible than you and your sources mantra the lying Left.
Got any more tables you'd like to post? :rofl
You gagged because you have a strange problem with truth and certain people from certain parties...

As for your personal abuse and dribble.... :roll: get help.
Abbott has explained nothing to a stunned public.
Ok apart from mantra who is stunned and why?

As for the Howard hate... :roll: nothing ever changes there it seems... oh and puhlease post proof and don't give a one sided story... if it is bipartisan say it is. Craig Emerson has been all for free trade... :roll: :roll: :roll: The more FTAs the merrier thanks to Craig.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:40 am

Hebe wrote:What utter bloody nonsense. Abbott is making us a global laughing stock with his climate change policies, the TPP, the NBN, the way he has managed to insult a lot of our Asian neighbours.

RUBBISH!!!

mantra

Post by mantra » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Hebe wrote:What utter bloody nonsense. Abbott is making us a global laughing stock with his climate change policies, the TPP, the NBN, the way he has managed to insult a lot of our Asian neighbours.

The RW's are incapable of answering that - and never have been able to put forward a good argument. Abbott is uncouth. The world leaders would have stood with their mouths agape when he badmouthed the previous government. What world leader denigrates his predecessor?

I'd like to ask the RW's - not that they have a clue either, what they think of increasing the debt ceiling by $200 billion and what they need the extra cash for? Labor wouldn't have gotten away with it by responding with silence, but it looks like Abbott thinks he will.

Every move he makes is a disappointment and a contradiction of his promises.

Abbott also needs to think about the fact that in a couple of years we're going to have to purchase our carbon credits from overseas at world market prices. We'll be the only developed country who is making no provision for climate change and all markets will be formulating their products around this. The carbon tax would have eventually enabled us to create our own credits instead we'll be at the mercy of all these nations we've signed FTA's with.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm

"Just weeks after the election, it’s crunch time and the Coalition’s performance is already looking decidedly shabby. Every week, we see reversals, retractions and retreats from the former positions of the Coalition.

Even before the election, Abbott was backpedalling."

http://www.independentaustralia.net/art ... -back,5853

Just yelling RUBBISH is hardly an argument. :roll: And there is plenty of commentary around concerning the early failure of this government. I notice that nobody was able to take up the challenge of presenting an example of an achievement from Bob Santamaria jr.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:30 pm

IQS.RLOW wrote:The TPP and NBN are good policy changes and he has a much better relationship with our Asian neighbours than the ALP.

Conservatives have always got on better with our Asian neighbours than the left. We are more closely ideologically aligned and we would never be stupid enough to threaten food security of our closest Asian neighbours because of a biased TV program from the hidden cam of radical activists.
Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa has said that reports the Australian embassy was used to spy on Indonesia were "not cricket," after Australia's ambassador to Indonesia was summonsed by the Indonesian foreign affairs department.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... z2jNB0kRTg

Yeah, right.