2019 Federal Election

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

2019 Federal Election

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Federal Liberal president Nick Greiner has told the party faithful that next year’s federal election could “change the country”, warning that “our opponents offer a blatant lurch to the left not seen since Arthur Calwell in the 1960s”.

Mr Greiner, in a speech to the Federal Liberal Council in Sydney today, said Bill Shorten was no Bob Hawke, arguing the former Labor prime minister was about “bringing Australians ­together” and unions helping with productivity gains.

By contrast, he said, Mr Shorten was aiming to “tear Australians apart” with workplace warfare.

Mr Greiner quoted another former Labor prime minister, Paul Keating, from the 1993 federal election, when he said “when you change the government, you change the country”.

He said the election would be a “generational conflict about values and about hopes for the ­future”. “That’s why 2018-19 is critical for the Liberal Party, it’s critical for all of us as the organisational leaders, but most importantly it’s critical for the country,” he said. “The challenge is to win a third term, to make sure Australia is the sort of Australia all of us ­envisaged when we joined the Liberal Party. Everything should be viewed through the prism of winning. It’s all about winning, stupid.”

Mr Greiner said the party could do better in terms of “unity”.

“Differences are inevitable and they’re desirable in a democratic party,” he said. “It’s not about ­obliterating the differences … but we’ve occasionally been a bit lazy and self-indulgent when it comes to giving our internal tiffs priority.

I hear occasionally people saying it’s a fight for the soul of the party. I’ve got news for you. I think it’s about a fight for the soul of the nation, not the soul of the party. All agree the most important goal is to avoid a Shorten Labor government.

Mr Greiner also said the party had to do more to encourage more women into politics. “We’re making some progress. We’re making nowhere near enough progress.”

The issue should not be a “philosophical bunfight”. People spoke about “merit” but “it’s very hard to have the better party … if our team does not (reflect) the community”, he said.

He conceded the party was up against it in terms of fundraising, saying there were some “green shoots” of interest from business in donating but the party needed “green trees”, against the might of union funding for Labor.

He said the election would be about “does Australia want equal opportunity or equal outcomes?”

(Labor has) no plan to grow the national economic pie, only a Robin Hood approach to cutting it up,” he said. “They offer a world of special deals, putting individuals and families against each other. They offer a massive ­increase in tax on effort and reward.’’

He urged Liberals to take the argument up to their opponents.

If any politician says he has a magic pudding, you can have your cake and eat it, Australians shouldn’t believe them,” he said. “If a politician with a proven track record of lying … says he can supercharge spending, accelerate budget repair and lower taxes all at once, Australians won’t believe him. It’s pigs may fly stuff.’
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 813a012f9c

:thumb

cods

Re: 2019 Federal Election

Post by cods » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 am

I still havent got over what they did to Abbott....I cant see myself voting if Malc is still the leader..

can you see him being toppled?

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:54 am

cods wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 am
I still havent got over what they did to Abbott....I cant see myself voting if Malc is still the leader..

can you see him being toppled?
Yes. I disliked that too.

I doubt Malcolm will be toppled.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:17 pm

They are too scared to do it again. Such the pity.

Mohawk

Post by Mohawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:17 pm
They are too scared to do it again. Such the pity.
I suppose a lot turns on the outcomes in the coming by-elections.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Most Libs cannot stand Turnbull but Shorten is a very scary alternative. I wish both parties would topple their current leaders together and that way neither one can steal air time condemning the other instead of addressing what is important. They could just both move on with it.

LEFTWINGER supreme

Post by LEFTWINGER supreme » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm

How is Shorten scary , by giving some spending power back to employees ? The very people that drive the economy

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 pm

LEFTWINGER supreme wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:56 pm
... The very people that drive the economy
Shorten in scary because he manages to get idiots to repeat garbage that have no basis in reality.
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia

LEFTWINGER supreme

Post by LEFTWINGER supreme » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 pm

So consumers with disposable income and savings are less likely to spend ? Well i never

IQS.RLOW

Post by IQS.RLOW » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm

LEFTWINGER supreme wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:27 pm
So consumers with disposable income and savings are less likely to spend ? Well i never
So you blurt out idiotic statements and follow yourself up with nonsense rhetorical questions...
Do you have a form of Tourette's syndrome for economic numpty's?
Quote by Aussie: I was a long term dead beat, wife abusing, drunk, black Muslim, on the dole for decades prison escapee having been convicted of paedophilia